Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapting new console for phones inside cases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
After doing some adjustments with the charging cable, I was able to get Tesla's original console (purchased through the online store) to work reasonably well with my older Galaxy S5 and newer Galaxy S7 Edge phones - both in protective cases. The phone would slide onto the exposed microUSB connector - and stay in place.

That isn't the case with the new console that came with our S 100D. The connector mount is now rubber, providing more give (which is probably a good thing). But because of that, under acceleration, there isn't enough tension to prevent the phone from popping off the connector.

Tesla supplies two sets of side mounting inserts - which don't work with the Galaxy S7 Edge, with or without the protective case.

Has anyone come up with a way to mount phones on the charging connector in the new consoles, when the supplied inserts don't work?

If someone had the ability to 3D print alternate parts, it should be possible to make inserts that would work with more phones (I'm assuming Tesla is supplying inserts that work with iPhones...).

I just took mine apart and modified the cable (used a Dremel to remove some of the cable stress relief rubber). The connector is now long enough to extend into my charge port (Galaxy S7 Edge) through the case. You can also adjust the depth between the connector and the flat back mount. I just stuff the cloth that I use to clean my glasses around the phone to keep in in place.

I'm going to try applying a small amount of Velcro to the back of the phone.

While I'd like to have guide inserts to make it easier to position the phone to get onto the charging plug, if the Velcro can provide enough friction to keep the phone in place during acceleration - that may be good enough.

Though, longer term, I'm still trying to come up with a simple way to produce guides for the left and right side of the docking area, to make it easier to slide the phone onto the plug - and keep the phone in place.

With 3D printing technology, it should be possible to design the guide inserts so that the parts could be printed to work with a wide range of phones and cases. Not sure it's possible to design fully adjustable guide inserts that would work with a range of phones.

We were told the iPhone connector wouldn't work with our phones with the cases on. I have an Apple silicone case on mine and it fits nicely on the charger connector but haven't tried adding the side inserts yet and my husband just looking at it thinks they will be a tad too small and not work so haven't tried that out yet. I'm only charging my phone when we are stationary in the car at the moment, not wanting to chance stopping suddenly, having the phone fly forward and breaking off or bending the connector while in the phone. If it does works or we figure something out I'll come back and post. Won't help the OP but maybe someone with an iPhone 6S.