Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive air suspension makes me pause...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm exited about the prospects of a Tesla Cybertruck. It ticks all of my boxes, even if it's weird looking. I've pre-ordered both the dual motor and the tri-motor.... but the most attractive thing about the tri-motor is the 500+ mile range, as my quarterly office visits are 175 miles each way. I'll be watching reviews closely before I commit to an order, or decide to wait.

The air suspension is my biggest concern....

I'm a suburban guy and this would not be a "work" vehicle for me. I might need to haul a load of mulch, carry a dirty German Shepherd in the covered bed, haul a piece of furniture, etc. I suspect that most people ordering this truck are in a similar situation.

The adaptive air suspension sounds like a liability to me and I'm hopeful that somebody in this forum can talk me down. Leveling the truck despite a heavy load is definitely desirable. The ability to raise/lower the vehicle to make it more efficient makes perfect sense. The idea that the Cybertruck can do this with air suspension while potentially carrying heavy loads RELIABLY over 5-10 years without repairs.... that doesn't sound realistic. I'm thinking that this air suspension may last 50k-75k miles (other vehicles use similar suspension) and require replacing.... and if we go by other Tesla models, we may be talking about $1500 a wheel AND the vehicle may not be operable in the event that the air suspension fails on one wheel.

Given that the battery/electrical resources are already available, why would the Tesla engineers not use a more durable and similarly functional magnetic suspension?

Thoughts?

Air suspensions used to be a huge financial issue. Especially for the uber expensive Mercedes first generation air.

Now, they are longer lasting and much less expensive to replace,here are lots of dismantelers that will sell you slightly used take off parts at reasonable prices.

I'm exited about the prospects of a Tesla Cybertruck. It ticks all of my boxes, even if it's weird looking. I've pre-ordered both the dual motor and the tri-motor.... but the most attractive thing about the tri-motor is the 500+ mile range, as my quarterly office visits are 175 miles each way. I'll be watching reviews closely before I commit to an order, or decide to wait.

I'm a suburban guy and this would not be a "work" vehicle for me. I might need to haul a load of mulch, carry a dirty German Shepherd in the covered bed, haul a piece of furniture, etc. I suspect that most people ordering this truck are in a similar situation.

The adaptive air suspension sounds like a liability to me and I'm hopeful that somebody in this forum can talk me down. Leveling the truck despite a heavy load is definitely desirable. The ability to raise/lower the vehicle to make it more efficient makes perfect sense. The idea that the Cybertruck can do this with air suspension while potentially carrying heavy loads RELIABLY over 5-10 years without repairs.... that doesn't sound realistic. I'm thinking that this air suspension may last 50k-75k miles (other vehicles use similar suspension) and require replacing.... and if we go by other Tesla models, we may be talking about $1500 a wheel AND the vehicle may not be operable in the event that the air suspension fails on one wheel.

Given that the battery/electrical resources are already available, why would the Tesla engineers not use a more durable and similarly functional magnetic suspension?

Thoughts?
For urban, on road and light off road air is great. The modern Bosch system Tesla, Jeep and Mercedes uses is fairly reliable, not like the old “airbags”. Yes eventually Compressors go and struts blow but are relatively cheep and easy to change out. When you compare the cost of upkeep to traditional shocks/struts not that much more. My brother has a grandcherokee trailhawk and I have a few friends with GL MBs that tow >6k lb campers and the leveling works well. Now off roading is a different story, Air suspension sucks off road. I’ll also mention that the air suspensions freeze up from the inside and fail (until they thaw out) regularly in the extreme cold (like < -5F) up here in Alaska.

Last edited:
Tesla uses a solution from Continental (they make more than just tires) or Bosch. My 2014 Model S drove 220000km with 0 problem. Never a leaking bladder or broken air-compression.
The 2006 Audi A8 I had before the MS, also had an air suspension system from Conti. Had that car for 300100km before selling it. Zero problems.
Tesla chose their (German) supplier for air suspension well and I don‘t lose one second of sleep over my 2020 Model X.
Semi‘s use air suspension and they drive half a million miles easily.

Last edited:
Tesla uses a solution from Continental (they make more than just tires) or Bosch. My 2014 Model S drove 220000km with 0 problem. Never a leaking bladder or broken air-compression.
The 2006 Audi A8 I had before the MS, also had an air suspension system from Conti. Had that car for 300100km before selling it. Zero problems.
Tesla chose their (German) supplier for air suspension well and I don‘t lose one second of sleep over my 2020 Model X.
Semi‘s use air suspension and they drive half a million miles easily.
And none of the vehicles you mentioned off road. Off roading air suspension sucks.

And none of the vehicles you mentioned off road. Off roading air suspension sucks.

The Mercedes G class (that boxy hardcore off-road thing, not the soccer-mom SUV version) has variants with air-suspension (since 2014 I believe). It's one of the best off-road vehicles out there. Seems reliable enough. If the bladders are well protected, they won't puncture.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
The Mercedes G class (that boxy hardcore off-road thing, not the soccer-mom SUV version) has variants with air-suspension (since 2014 I believe). It's one of the best off-road vehicles out there. Seems reliable enough. If the bladders are well protected, they won't puncture.
From what I can tell the g now has available “adjustable dampening” which from what I can tell is traditional springs with active hydraulic controls for dampening, not air and no height adjustment. Hydraulic adjustable dampening is good off road, look at Oshkosh, Toyota Land Cruiser, and LORD for starters.

Most G wagons sold in the US are AMG g63 that come with 21”-22” eagle F1 street summer only tires... so hardly an off road benchmark. I drove a G500 for 10 years after MB brought it to the US market as my daily driver and off roaded it hard, it took a different approach being triple locked but I’ll have to say slightly less capable then my current Lexus LX570. And vastly inferior to SWB Jeep wranglers, well until they break down ;)

Also as I’m sure we all know the vast majority of G wagons never go off road Probably just like the vast majority of CTs.

From what I can tell the g now has available “adjustable dampening” which from what I can tell is traditional springs with active hydraulic controls for dampening, not air and no height adjustment. Hydraulic adjustable dampening is good off road, look at Oshkosh, Toyota Land Cruiser, and LORD for starters.

Most G wagons sold in the US are AMG g63 that come with 21”-22” eagle F1 street summer only tires... so hardly an off road benchmark. I drove a G500 for 10 years after MB brought it to the US market as my daily driver and off roaded it hard, it took a different approach being triple locked but I’ll have to say slightly less capable then my current Lexus LX570. And vastly inferior to SWB Jeep wranglers, well until they break down ;)

Also as I’m sure we all know the vast majority of G wagons never go off road Probably just like the vast majority of CTs.
I would definitely agree with your last statement regarding the vast majority of Cybertrucks never going off road. I would be shocked if more than 5% of CTs sold ever see anything but a paved surface. Mine sure won't! LOL!

Dan

Doesn't the venerable Toyota Land cruiser use air suspension? I think the concerns are overblown here. The issue most have with air off-road is that fully aired up your suspension is stiffest which sucks for comfort off-road. I can't imagine Elon will be happy with that so I'd assume they build in some comfort at the official "max" height ( eg max height isn't actually max inflation )

My 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI had adaptive air suspension from the factory that still functioned flawlessly after 15 years and 150,000 miles. The new owner continues to rack up the miles and has had no issues.

Air suspension systems will need some maintenance at time, but parts are readily available. There are some major horror stories out there about factory air suspension systems failing and racking up insane repair bills at dealerships, but I've found that competent independent shops or even competent home mechanics can troubleshoot and make repairs for significantly less money.

The biggest plus about adaptive air suspension is the adjustable rate dampers. These will provide a smooth ride in all driving and load conditions, which is something I'm really looking forward to on the Cybertruck.

Adaptable shocks and air suspension will provide tremendous capability to the CyberTruck. Smooth on road ride, can air up to tow level with heavy loads. It can kneel to make loading much easier plus easier for passengers.

It can rise up for rocky, rutted or deep snow conditions, lower down for better handling and fuel consumption. Headlights will remain level.

So many advantages of air suspension that offset the potential for future maintenance costs.

Doesn't the venerable Toyota Land cruiser use air suspension? I think the concerns are overblown here. The issue most have with air off-road is that fully aired up your suspension is stiffest which sucks for comfort off-road. I can't imagine Elon will be happy with that so I'd assume they build in some comfort at the official "max" height ( eg max height isn't actually max inflation )
No it does not use air, I have one. The 100 and 200 series land cruisers (and Lexus LX) uses adjustable hydraulic with springs. And it’s not the same...

• Disagree
Reactions: CMoZ
> "makes me pause" [OP]

No pause! Every time I reach to the screen to raise air susp to max I see that the ModelS has already done that for me so no need to stop the car before climbing that wicked curb or ferry lip. But, full disclosure, if the car has never been there before you need to raise it manually yourself. I don't know but maybe ASD can do that automatically?
--

Thoughts?

Air suspension is a major feature of the Cybertruck, like it's stainless steel skeleton. I highly doubt there will ever be leaf or spring option.