Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control (TACC) Annoyance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your car new? You might want to talk to dealer about this.

About 2500 miles so far. I've noticed it seems to freak out about semis in adjacent lanes as I come up on them w/ TACC. It's not every time but it's happened about 6 times so far. Once even going so far as to trigger the collision alert chime(!) - yet the semi was completely in the other lane and never moved over in any way. It's like the radar or sensors suddenly goes 'oh crap - there's like two cars on top of each other (the cab and trailer) sticking into our lane and they came out of nowhere(!). With my morning/evening commute being on a 4 lane city loop with traffic usually moving at a pretty good clip, these events seem to happen almost once daily.
I use TACC *a lot* but I've gotten really careful around semis in certain situations.

For me, the issue with adaptive cruise in on two lane roads, where there are turn lanes for turning right. Let's say the car in front me pulls to the turn lane, even though my lane is clear, Adaptive cruise will slow me to a crawl because of the other car slowing to turn.