Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control without AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who aren't interested in autopilot, or who think the price for AP is too high, do you think there will be ACC available? Can you currently get a model S or X with ACC and no autopilot?

Or do you have to choose between autopilot or plain old fashioned dumb cruise control?

Current vehicles without the AP option get the dumb cruise control. The only way to get TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) is to purchase the AP option (now EAP option - Enhanced AutoPilot). Once you purchase the AP/EAP option, you are no longer able to use the dumb-style cruise control. That's how it is currently, and any speculation on how it will be implemented in future vehicles is just speculation.

$7,100 for EAP (Model S) here in Canada and like the thread starter, I just want adaptive cruise control and none of the rest. :(

And yes, I noticed the base Corolla has this function. Too bad I don't want another ICE vehicle but I might just skip ACC if it only comes with EAP and makes the car that much more expensive.

Enhanced Autopilot adds new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. The
enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy.
and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes. In addition. 12 ultrasonic sonar
sensors provide 360 degree coverage around your car with almost twice the range and
resolution of the prior version.

The significantly increased sensor information is processed by a computer that is over 40
times more powerful than before. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep
within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input transition from one
freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a
parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. That said. Enhanced Autopilot
should still be considered a driver’s assistance feature with the driver responsible for
remaining in control of the car at all times.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be
introduced as validation is completed. subject to regulatory approval.

Last edited:
Again, standard on Corolla.

OK, first of all the adaptive cruise control on the Corolla is a cheaper variant that is a far cry from the adaptive cruise control on the more expensive cars. It tracks the car in front of you on a highway, but does not do stop and go tracking for congested highways (it cuts out below 25 mph). Also, it's not uncommon to have cheap cars include one or two lesser implementations of "fancy" features to attract customers, but it doesn't impact the Model 3 in the slightest because the Corolla is not competition for the Model 3. For cars that are competition, they all offer full stop and go adaptive cruise control, and it is never standard.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
OK, first of all the adaptive cruise control on the Corolla is a cheaper variant that is a far cry from the adaptive cruise control on the more expensive cars. It tracks the car in front of you on a highway, but does not do stop and go tracking for congested highways (it cuts out below 25 mph). Also, it's not uncommon to have cheap cars include one or two lesser implementations of "fancy" features to attract customers, but it doesn't impact the Model 3 in the slightest because the Corolla is not competition for the Model 3. For cars that are competition, they all offer full stop and go adaptive cruise control, and it is never standard.

It may be standard on a Corolla, but probably nothing else near it. When I was car shopping ~3 years ago, it was a feature few and far between in what I was looking at (Fusion, Altima, 6, Accord, etc).

Try Subaru EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology [2] • Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert[6]
For less than 30.000 depending on the model

It does stop and go and it has a regular cruise control available.

Last edited: