Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see Tesla add energy limiting to the cruise control. Such a feature would cap energy consumption at a particular level, at the expense of reduced speed. This would greatly improve range when driving on hilly interstates such as in Vermont.

This idea has come up many times in the Prius groups. Do you know of any existing cruise control that has actually done this? It's a great idea, but I don't think it's ever been implemented :-(

This idea has come up many times in the Prius groups. Do you know of any existing cruise control that has actually done this? It's a great idea, but I don't think it's ever been implemented :-(

No, I haven't seen it anywhere else. I did send a written suggestion to Tesla Engineering. They could also add a minimum speed for interstate use, and automatic activation of rear emergency flashers if speed gets too low.

I drove our Lexus 100 miles today using ACC. First time in months. It is definitely a feature I miss. Makes even more sense for an EV. Let the car make smooth speed transitions.

The radar used for ACC is also used for collision avoidance. Parking sensors are different.

A

Volvo has an I-See cruise control system, targeted at trucks. It uses knowledge of gradients (but not based on maps) to maximize efficiency.

A more simplistic approach, as I think Honda uses, is to be relatively permissive of variation in speed. Just allowing 2 to 3 mph in change can make a big difference.

I didn't get to read all the pages but.. my 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo has the adaptive cruise control that does stop the car all the way to a dead stop.. like stop and go on the freeway.. if it becomes a dead stop I will have to tap on the gas pedal just slightly to re-engage it and it'll speed back up accordingly. But if it slow down to.. say 1 mph and then the traffic opens up again, it'll speed back up without me having to touch any of the pedals.

I was really spoiled by the adaptive cruise control in the Porsche and really wish the P85+ that I'll be picking up on the 23rd will have it but.. it's okay.. maybe in the future it'll be retrofitable even though it'll be a pretty penny since it has to control the brakes as well.

Larry