Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise y/n if you don't get the Auto Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alrighty. My Subaru Ascent just got into an accident and while it can be repaired, I'm really pissed off that it's been hit. So I'm thinking of buying a new vehicle. I love the Subaru Eyesight system. The adaptive cruise makes driving on the freeways so much easier.

I'm not convinced I need the autopilot feature on the Tesla. I like driving my own car. I do like the convenience of adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitor. So what am I losing by not ordering the $10k auto pilot option? I don't care if the car ever drives itself. I just want the adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, reverse automatic braking, and lane keep assist.

You've been on the forums since 2014, I would figure you'd know all of this stuff?
The car comes with regular Autopilot for free which includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assistant, and Auto Steer. This enables you to take your hands off the wheel for short periods of time. The system periodically makes you jiggle the steering wheel or else auto pilot disengages.

The system also has just adaptive cruise control if you prefer to drive but have the car keep its distance and handle the acceleration.

A Tesla will do everything your Subaru did and more when it comes to driving.
All the $10,000 FSD upgrade gives you is automatic lane changes where the car will actually navigate on the highway and change lanes on its own. There are other features that are part of FSD but they're gimmicky and in my opinion not worth discussing. (Auto park, summon, street light recognition)

My personal opinion:
Save the $10,000 and make your lane changes yourself. Is auto lane changing really worth 10-grand? I think not.
The future promise of full self driving isn't going to happen with the current hardware. We'll definitely see steering on city streets but it will forever be a Level 2 driver assistance feature.

You've been on the forums since 2014, I would figure you'd know all of this stuff?
The car comes with regular Autopilot for free which includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assistant, and Auto Steer. This enables you to take your hands off the wheel for short periods of time. The system periodically makes you jiggle the steering wheel or else auto pilot disengages.

The system also has just adaptive cruise control if you prefer to drive but have the car keep its distance and handle the acceleration.

All the $10,000 FSD upgrade gives you is automatic lane changes where the car will actually navigate on the highway and change lanes on its own. There are other features that are part of FSD but they're gimmicky and in my opinion not worth discussing. (Auto park, summon, street light recognition)
Yeah I've been on the forums quite some time lol. But I've not yet pulled the trigger on a Tesla. Right now I've got 7 vehicles, so I'm in the process of weeding them down. I really love the Subie and it's Eyesight system. I'd probably be happy with the MY but I won't have a true 3rd row like I do with my Ascent. We have 3 kids so I've got to mull this one over. Thanks for your help.

My personal opinion:
Save the $10,000 and make your lane changes yourself. Is auto lane changing really worth 10-grand? I think not.
The future promise of full self driving isn't going to happen with the current hardware. We'll definitely see steering on city streets but it will forever be a Level 2 driver assistance feature.
Terrific summary. Agree completely - the most reasonable approach to the current state of Autopilot/FSD.

Just purchased a MY awiting delivery, but as far as adaptive cruise control goes I own a CX5 Mazda with it and would never own a car without it. lane assist sucks and I always leave it disabled. Too sensitive and beeps too often. Only caution is when you drive a car without an Adaptive cruise after driving one with the car does not respond to slowing traffic and catches you by surprise. Ask me how I know, I have another car without.

I have ACC on Chevy Volt and Sprinter van. They work great during heavy traffic. Lane keep assist is terrible in the Sprinter. I don't have the MY (maybe 2 weeks) yet but I have tried autopilot on my brother M3. Functionally, I think ACC is similar in all 3 that I have tried. Lane keep assist is superior in the Tesla for sure.

Yeah, Lane Keep Assist is not very good. Lane Centering is better. ACC works really well so long as you keep on top of it. I've had situations where we're doing 65 and traffic has greatly slowed. ACC doesn't pick it up till the last minute and you get into a situation of near panic braking. So I'm always diligent and if I see traffic has slowed significantly and the ACC hasn't slowed us yet, I will manually brake the vehicle. It just goes to show that while these smart systems really are useful, one still has to be attentive and keep on top of things.

Reactions: Daekwan