Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive headlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Model-X has the "adaptive" feature. It's not implemented in the same way as most other vehicles. When the steering wheel is turned, it lights up more of the LED array in the direction of travel, instead of using a motor to change headlight angle. Less moving parts, but I've heard reviews of it being fairly weak.

Yes, the Model-X has the "adaptive" feature. It's not implemented in the same way as most other vehicles. When the steering wheel is turned, it lights up more of the LED array in the direction of travel, instead of using a motor to change headlight angle. Less moving parts, but I've heard reviews of it being fairly weak.

Interesting concept but I cannot quite see how it will work.

I theory a bit like this

But Tesla has less LEDs and they just seem to light up the corners.

Thank you. So this actually works similar to my Cayene. On my Cayenne, when I turn on the turn signal, there is a "side-marker" on the turn side which turns on and help illuminate the corner. But the headlight does not turn at all.

Thank you. So this actually works similar to my Cayene. On my Cayenne, when I turn on the turn signal, there is a "side-marker" on the turn side which turns on and help illuminate the corner. But the headlight does not turn at all.
You probably have what they show in the video at 0:35.
If you watch the whole video you can see what some cars have these days where the headlights move or have some technology that makes it look like they do.

When you say "adaptive headlights" are you talking about the turning illumination or adaptive high beams? Model X has both features and as others have said the turning illumination is a static mount implementation. The Model X will turn on side pointing auxiliary lights in two conditions, slight change in steering wheel turn angle and when the side indicator is on, both respective to the direction of travel. In our other car, past a certain steering wheel turn angle, our Audi headlamps physically turn the main beam to point in the direction of travel. I like this implementation better, but it greatly increases the cost of the headlamp housing, and increases the failure points since they're mechanical.

When you say "adaptive headlights" are you talking about the turning illumination or adaptive high beams? Model X has both features and as others have said the turning illumination is a static mount implementation. The Model X will turn on side pointing auxiliary lights in two conditions, slight change in steering wheel turn angle and when the side indicator is on, both respective to the direction of travel. In our other car, past a certain steering wheel turn angle, our Audi headlamps physically turn the main beam to point in the direction of travel. I like this implementation better, but it greatly increases the cost of the headlamp housing, and increases the failure points since they're mechanical.
My 911 Turbo has the mechanical headlight turn and as I mentioned, the Cayenne has the static type. And I definitely prefer the mechanical type as it really turns into the corner and help illuminate the turn much better. But I don't drive much at night time anyway, so it is not a big deal. :)

I think it's worth mentioning here : while having additional LED light up as you turn seem to give similar functionality as rotating lenses/projector, there's one, huge, caveat with the Model S/X LED adaptative LEDs : they are setup to work on the low beams so they have a cutoff aligned with the low beams of the cars.

I'm not sure how useful a feature this is.. I mean, the only time my adaptative headlights were really useful on my previous ride (Volvo) was in dark roads when I would you my high beams.

Lights are the only disappointment in this vehicle....significantly underpowered in normal setting.

High beams are Ok. My wife’s Macan lights up the entire field in front of you and is terrific. I suppose Tesla evaluated the impact of better lighting vs. battery loss and went with less bright solution. I’d rather have less range and better lighting, but that’s me.....

Bump. Usually I have adaptive headlights active but I just now tried to turn that setting off and manually turn on the highbeams while parked in my driveway and there was no change in the beam and the indicator for adaptive headlights were still showing on the dash. It seems the button on the center console is not having any effect. Pulling back on the stalk to flash the highbeams works. I did just reboot the screens yesterday while approaching a different problem so that's probably not the answer here.
Anyone else having this trouble turning off of adaptive headlights?
Still on 8-2.44.121

Bump. Usually I have adaptive headlights active but I just now tried to turn that setting off and manually turn on the highbeams while parked in my driveway and there was no change in the beam and the indicator for adaptive headlights were still showing on the dash. It seems the button on the center console is not having any effect. Pulling back on the stalk to flash the highbeams works. I did just reboot the screens yesterday while approaching a different problem so that's probably not the answer here.
Anyone else having this trouble turning off of adaptive headlights?
Still on 8-2.44.121
Are you maybe mixing up adaptive headlights and auto highbeam?

Are you maybe mixing up adaptive headlights and auto highbeam?
Thanks. You are right. The Control/Lights:Auto High Beam is with all the other Light controls and the Settings/Adaptive Headlights is not what I was after. Somehow I just missed that control even though I looked at all the screens. I don't think I changed that setting once since I got the car.