Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive regen setting for track mode, is that possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using high regen in track mode is really helpful to save some energy. It also act faster when you are in heavy braking zone and save some heating. However when you release your brake the regen is still high and it often leads to some over braking.

It is also hard to “compensate” the regen in corners by lightly squeezing the throttle, considering the bad seating of Model 3. Some times my apex speed is too low due to the regen, otherwise too fast because I pushed the throttle too much when trying to reduce the regen.

So my idea is to detect the driver’s behavior to adaptively set the regen level when lapping. The logic should be really simple:

1. After heavy braking, set regen level to low. This tells the car you are slow enough and ready to turn in, no more regen needed until you accelerate again.
2. After the throttle floored, set regen level to high. This tells the car you are out of the corner and on a straight, prepare the regen for next heavy braking.

Hope they can add this to the next version of track mode. Maybe v2.5 or v3??

Reactions: dfwatt
Three ways to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel:

*Quicken your transition from brake pedal to accelerator pedal
*Start your braking later, and transition to using the regen for the final few MPH "trail-braking" into the turn-in.
*Use both feet to modulate friction and regen as you desire. This should be your end-goal for maximum pace. Two footed driving is what all advanced drivers should know how to do, especially since there's no clutch pedal to worry about.

In the end, you as the driver need to adapt your style to extract the pace out of the car. You're halfway there knowing you're over-braking, you just need a little tune-up with the footwork.