Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New port and door installed and damaged by Mobile in June.

Remote open broken by update late fall.

Remote open fixed by update in Dec.

SvC will not sell me a new charge port, even though listed as over the counter. Local approved body shop won't do it either since they "Have a love/hate relationship with Tesla"
If mobile service broke it, why do you want to pay for it?

Well, if the adaptive suspension, isn't, then I guess I can add it to a list if things that don't work well, or at all in the Refresh:

ARNR
Ambient lighting
Steam games
Horn
Charge port door

And of course, FSD.
ARNR- is working
Ambient lights- it works
Steam games- I am able to launch but I don't use and not useful to me.
Horn - Tesla never fixed it like promised and I have to make sure I can find it in my yoke
Charge port door-my Feb production car does not have any new changes. But I like the way I can use it. Don't miss it

By working ARNR, and Ambient Lighting, are you sure you can see and hear the results, not just the switch icon turning blue?

The charge port issue is not wide spread, mainly misalignment and clicking noises, but I have additional problems caused by service.

This thread is so aggravating. So much completely off-target "scientific" analysis. Why would you even bother looking at what is clearly a software-only datapoint (the commanded duty cycle or damping %) and drawing a conclusion about the actual physics? The only way someone's readings would be different for the same situation is if they had different software, and yet it's like talking to a brick wall suggesting that we take a step back and look at the physical examples.

Mine is noticeably different. Sport is stiff, Comfort is softer/smoother, and Track mode is bone-jarringly stiff. I can tell instantly within 500 ft of driving which mode I'm on and go remember to switch it back if needed. It works exactly as designed in my opinion. So did my Raven. FAR more noticeable than all the other adaptive suspension cars I've owned - Corvettes, M3s, AMGs, etc.

Nobody doubts that Steve's and other cars may not be working as expected - it's a Tesla, it's shocking that so many of us are working. But we are. It's not a design flaw - there's just something wrong with some peoples' cars apparently. OR, maybe, just maybe, their cars are working fine and they just aren't noticing the differences. Who knows, but it's like pulling teeth getting someone to just go sit in a working car and stop posting the same drivel in these threads.

My console lights are reversed and my ARNR seems to sit on Calibrating for hours, then randomly decide to be calibrated and working, and at some point it will start generating a drone sound that reminds me to go turn it off until it decides to turn back on and calibrate again. I'm no apologist for these wonky cars, which are still the best I've owned...

This thread is so aggravating. So much completely off-target "scientific" analysis. Why would you even bother looking at what is clearly a software-only datapoint (the commanded duty cycle or damping %) and drawing a conclusion about the actual physics? The only way someone's readings would be different for the same situation is if they had different software, and yet it's like talking to a brick wall suggesting that we take a step back and look at the physical examples.

Mine is noticeably different. Sport is stiff, Comfort is softer/smoother, and Track mode is bone-jarringly stiff. I can tell instantly within 500 ft of driving which mode I'm on and go remember to switch it back if needed. It works exactly as designed in my opinion. So did my Raven. FAR more noticeable than all the other adaptive suspension cars I've owned - Corvettes, M3s, AMGs, etc.

Nobody doubts that Steve's and other cars may not be working as expected - it's a Tesla, it's shocking that so many of us are working. But we are. It's not a design flaw - there's just something wrong with some peoples' cars apparently. OR, maybe, just maybe, their cars are working fine and they just aren't noticing the differences. Who knows, but it's like pulling teeth getting someone to just go sit in a working car and stop posting the same drivel in these threads.

My console lights are reversed and my ARNR seems to sit on Calibrating for hours, then randomly decide to be calibrated and working, and at some point it will start generating a drone sound that reminds me to go turn it off until it decides to turn back on and calibrate again. I'm no apologist for these wonky cars, which are still the best I've owned...
My suspension changes are also pretty noticeable and you may be right that it’s a software issue. Heck my memory seat and memory tilt steering wheel don’t work anymore unless I manually do it so that is clearly a software issue that isn’t common so could be the same here.

Dead right on all accounts. ARNR doesn’t work for anyone, mind, and I’ll stand by that statement. Tesla has work to do here.

Reactions: glide
Dead right on all accounts. ARNR doesn’t work for anyone, mind, and I’ll stand by that statement. Tesla has work to do here.

Timley. Just got the answer for why no games on the rear screen.

The ARNR does do something on my car, calibrates for a bit, then no difference as far as I can tell. I will attempt to get sound data, then ask the SvC why no workee...

I'll save the best, ambient lighting, for last.

Reactions: WilliamG
Welp, I'm surprised to report, that ARNR does do something, at least on my car, besides the switch turning blue.

It does not do anything for constant road noise per say. However a loud low frequency thump, like a road seam or bump is reduced perceptibly. I'd say maybe 1 db.

Positive it is working, but not useful really.

Rebrand to ATNR? (Active Thump Noise Reduction)

Last edited:
Welp, I'm surprised to report, that ARNR does do something, at least on my car, besides the switch turning blue.

It does not do anything for constant road noise per say. However a loud low frequency thump, like a road seam or bump is reduced perceptibly. I'd say maybe 1 db.

Positive it is working, but not useful really.

Rebrand to ATNR? (Active Thump Noise Reduction)
It’s rubbish. The end. 😂 The best part is when it malfunctions and you get droning in the car that’s soooo bad.

Reactions: jacie6056
I posted this on the other Suspension thread.

I was having the same question when I get the S. Every time I swap between Comfort and Sport I could never tell the difference and then I came across this thread. So I decided to give it some kind of objective testing to see if the adaptive suspension is actually working.

So, instead of swapping between the modes in random succession, I decided to drive in comfort on a daily basis. The more I drove in comfort, the more I started noticing the car was driving softer. Maybe this was a placebo, I don't know.

On the highway I can feel like the S is gliding. The softness is no where near what a Mercedes would achieve, but enough to smooth out rough surfaces to make it comfortable. It could not smooth out big potholes or bumps but most of the drive does feel smoother.

The smoothness becomes much obvious as soon as you swap the suspension to Sport after driving in comfort for a long time, and you can feel the suspension stiffening and the ride becoming more harder. I can especially tell the different when I drive over a railway track which I cross every single time I have to leave my house. I am almost regularly driving in comfort now. The suspension numbers also align with what I see. There is more compression and rebound in comfort compared to sport.

So, objectively speaking from what I have noticed, comfort does make the car more softer compared to Sport.
I also ride on the Aero 19s with winter tires right now. So I will see how it does once I get summers on 20s later this year.

I feel like, Tesla is being very conservative in the comfort dampening, probably to save the suspension from premature wear and failure.

No matter the data, my refreshed X is much quieter inside than 2 previous Model X's. Do not know if this is due to electric noise reduction or different construction, but the additional quiet is much appreciated.
As to the suspension, I can easily feel how the X on automatic firms up at speed and during enthusiastic driving in corners. Braking dive reduces as well. The car indeed runs smoothly when cruising and firms up when required. In addition, the suspension automatically rises up when the road gets rough such as in construction areas or bumpy back roads. Automatically lowers again to preset level when road smooths out.

While this may not show up on the OP's diagnostic data, it is obvious to me that the car is reacting to external inputs.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
No matter the data, my refreshed X is much quieter inside than 2 previous Model X's. Do not know if this is due to electric noise reduction or different construction, but the additional quiet is much appreciated.
As to the suspension, I can easily feel how the X on automatic firms up at speed and during enthusiastic driving in corners. Braking dive reduces as well. The car indeed runs smoothly when cruising and firms up when required. In addition, the suspension automatically rises up when the road gets rough such as in construction areas or bumpy back roads. Automatically lowers again to preset level when road smooths out.

While this may not show up on the OP's diagnostic data, it is obvious to me that the car is reacting to external inputs.
Has anyone thought to put a blindfolded test subject in the back seat, and have them guess what settings are as you cycle through the ride options, driving back and forth over the same road?

"A valid test is worth a thousand opinions"