Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are stating things as fact that are currently your theory. One of the most glaring differences I have is your impression that the valves are closed by default. I believe it's actually the opposite. Comfort has a low setting which allows the least resistant travel until the bump above the surface of the road is hit. Once the initial absorption occurs it then stiffens the shock to reduce the travel further.

Again, I am not disputing that you may have a problem but I do not agree with your conclusions.
My main thrust in this whole issue has been to shift the discussion from a subjective to an objective one. With this in mind, I have tried to document the provable facts about the system’s operation. I am sorry if I have given a different impression, but I
try to explain the difference between my theories and the facts. The fact that the valves are normally closed was proven. When my car was delivered, it had a non-functional ECU. Therefore no control signal was sent to any of the shock solenoids. They were left in their normal positions. The ride was unbelievably harsh! The ride did improve somewhat when the ECU was replaced. BTW it is also true that other manufacturers variable shocks employ normally closed valves. They are common in the industry.

My main thrust in this whole issue has been to shift the discussion from a subjective to an objective one. With this in mind, I have tried to document the provable facts about the system’s operation. I am sorry if I have given a different impression, but I
try to explain the difference between my theories and the facts. The fact that the valves are normally closed was proven. When my car was delivered, it had a non-functional ECU. Therefore no control signal was sent to any of the shock solenoids. They were left in their normal positions. The ride was unbelievably harsh! The ride did improve somewhat when the ECU was replaced. BTW it is also true that other manufacturers variable shocks employ normally closed valves. They are common in the industry.
To clarify I'm not addressing the electrical aspects, only that comfort at 4-12% would be considered "4%-12% closed" meaning they are open 88%-96% open at that setting.

You don’t need any equipment! As I explained in my post, the values displayed as “percentage damping“ are NOT percentage damping but ARE solenoid voltage duty cycle. They are a direct window to the operation of the valves. Getting the numbers I need takes about one minute…. Go to the Suspension Info screen, set the ride to Comfort, step on the brake, and record the number for Left Front Compression. Set the ride to Sport and record it again. Then record it for Advanced, Ride Comfort Soft through Firm. You should have 7 numbers ie. 0,28,0,0,4,8,20 (these are my numbers). BTW I have previously proven that the valves are Normally Closed. Thanks!
Im on vacation without the car. When I return I will do this for you.

I found this video that shows someone going through the settings and describing the effects. The most constructive thing I can say is that the system DOES work for some and seems to not work in others. Any problem that exists does not exist in all the cars.

Reactions: Wilber

I found this video that shows someone going through the settings and describing the effects. The most constructive thing I can say is that the system DOES work for some and seems to not work in others. Any problem that exists does not exist in all the cars.
Thanks, that was interesting. I noticed he had default ride height set to 'Low". That is something i have not tried, because of my concern the nose of the car might bottom out. But, i will try that on my next test drive. I recall reading somewhere that settings such as 'High' and "Very High' limit the movement of the shocks, so that the ride is stiffer.. Makes me think having ride height at "Low' would help maximize comfort. And, who knows, maybe the software in some cars has a quirk that simply makes the system work better? I do wish Tesla had an official video on this topic, or the Owners Manual discussed it in detail. Would save us all alot o time and debate. By the way,, on my latest test drive i sill could feel no difference between Comfort and Sport.

Thanks, that was interesting. I noticed he had default ride height set to 'Low". That is something i have not tried, because of my concern the nose of the car might bottom out. But, i will try that on my next test drive. I recall reading somewhere that settings such as 'High' and "Very High' limit the movement of the shocks, so that the ride is stiffer.. Makes me think having ride height at "Low' would help maximize comfort. And, who knows, maybe the software in some cars has a quirk that simply makes the system work better? I do wish Tesla had an official video on this topic, or the Owners Manual discussed it in detail. Would save us all alot o time and debate. By the way,, on my latest test drive i sill could feel no difference between Comfort and Sport.
OK folks. Just did my standard test drive again. local streets with speed limit around 30 and good and bumpy. Setting default to 'Low" didnt help much, if at all. I made sure to keep it in Low. I drove the same section in Comfort and then in Sport, and didnt notice a difference. Interestingly i drove the same streets earlier today in my Model Y long range. The MY was definitely smoother! I think my MS is permanently stuck on Sport.

OK folks. Just did my standard test drive again. local streets with speed limit around 30 and good and bumpy. Setting default to 'Low" didnt help much, if at all. I made sure to keep it in Low. I drove the same section in Comfort and then in Sport, and didnt notice a difference. Interestingly i drove the same streets earlier today in my Model Y long range. The MY was definitely smoother! I think my MS is permanently stuck on Sport.
By actual measurements, Sport is the softest setting you have. It starts at 28% softness vs. 0% for Comfort.

By actual measurements, Sport is the softest setting you have. It starts at 28% softness vs. 0% for Comfort.
I got to keep stating that I don't believe this conclusion is correct. You are hypothesizing what the percentage means but it could easily mean the opposite of what you infer it to mean.

There's enough information to say that the data is displayed the same for cars with working suspensions and those that do not have working suspensions. If you infer the percent to be how much resistance the shock is providing to suspension travel and you assume that a low percentage is low resistance than the data is displaying correctly for both working and claimed not working suspensions.

This is what I think you really need to start clarifying that it is your working theory that is the opposite but you keep stating it as some sort of verified fact and I just don't agree with that.

I want to help any way I can for you guys to figure out a way to prove your suspension doesn't work but you have to stop declaring the case closed on the suspension details.

Just my opinion...

Reactions: mcirish and Wilber
I got to keep stating that I don't believe this conclusion is correct. You are hypothesizing what the percentage means but it could easily mean the opposite of what you infer it to mean.

There's enough information to say that the data is displayed the same for cars with working suspensions and those that do not have working suspensions. If you infer the percent to be how much resistance the shock is providing to suspension travel and you assume that a low percentage is low resistance than the data is displaying correctly for both working and claimed not working suspensions.

This is what I think you really need to start clarifying that it is your working theory that is the opposite but you keep stating it as some sort of verified fact and I just don't agree with that.

I want to help any way I can for you guys to figure out a way to prove your suspension doesn't work but you have to stop declaring the case closed on the suspension details.

Just my opinion...
We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one Callllvin. It’s just that when I can measure something and quantify it, it takes on a degree of factualness.

It may be that OP's suspension is not working properly. A quick message to Tesla and they can run a remote diagnostic to determine if they can determine if it is working properly, and perhaps effect a remote fix.

For me I simply set it in automatic and go about my day. Have enough other things to deal with.

The vast majority of owners do not have this particular problem with the suspension of their MS. Good for them! And they may feel this is a minimal issue. But those of us that do realize this is a paramount issue. When I go over a speed bump it has become laughable. It is as if I went over a deep pothole. I put mud guards on the front; I hear them touching asphalt all too often. I run 19" tires and am always in Comfort mode. As I posted earlier, my 2001 Honda Accord is far superior in terms of suspension to my 2022 MS. I check this thread daily in the hope that there might be some kind of fix from Tesla; it has become my only hope. Thanks to all that might contribute to a favorable resolution.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one Callllvin. It’s just that when I can measure something and quantify it, it takes on a degree of factualness.
But your conclusion that a higher percentage means a softer suspension simply makes no sense, especially on a car that is working properly. I believe your numbers that are displayed are correct but there is something wrong with the execution.

But your conclusion that a higher percentage means a softer suspension simply makes no sense, especially on a car that is working properly. I believe your numbers that are displayed are correct but there is something wrong with the execution.
Out of curiosity, have you watched/read all of the videos/posts @SteveSchweer has posted on this topic over the last 6 months during his investigation? He's got a lot of empirical evidence that the suspension in his car is functioning as he has described. It feels like you are dismissing it because it's not supposed to work that way and assuming he did something wrong in his research. If you do see something potentially wrong in his videos then that would be worth discussing as opposed to you two just going back and forth saying fact/fiction at each other. Those of us who believe our suspension isn't functioning correctly would appreciate this discussion moving forward instead of getting stuck in a he-said/she-said mire.

It seems your are both knowledgeable on the topic so an actual discussion will be way more valuable then what has gone on the last few pages.

Out of curiosity, have you watched/read all of the videos/posts @SteveSchweer has posted on this topic over the last 6 months during his investigation? He's got a lot of empirical evidence that the suspension in his car is functioning as he has described. It feels like you are dismissing it because it's not supposed to work that way and assuming he did something wrong in his research. If you do see something potentially wrong in his videos then that would be worth discussing as opposed to you two just going back and forth saying fact/fiction at each other. Those of us who believe our suspension isn't functioning correctly would appreciate this discussion moving forward instead of getting stuck in a he-said/she-said mire.

It seems your are both knowledgeable on the topic so an actual discussion will be way more valuable then what has gone on the last few pages.
Def not trying to be argumentative so sorry if it's coming off like that...

It's important to flesh out the data we are seeing imo.

So I called Libertyville, IL Tesla and talked to someone in the sales department. They confirmed that my understanding is correct that the percentage reflects the amount of resistance the system is providing in a given direction with 0% being no resistance and 100% being maximum.

The suspension changes the resistance of each shock over the course of ONE bump.

The analogy is catching a baseball. When the baseball is coming your glove is open and ready. As the ball comes you move your hand back AWAY from the glove to absorb the balls inertial weight. Once it hits the glove you then SLOW DOWN the glove speed to prevent further travel. Another analogy is jumping and landing, how you use your knees to absorb OVER DISTANCE the shock of landing.

The adaptive system in the comfort setting is in a default SOFT (low resistance, 0-4%) state. Once a bump is encountered that is higher than the road surface the low resistance allows the wheel to rise up as easily as possible which prevents car body movement. This compression of the shock is then slowed in that direction by increasing the resistance (and is probably handled with the electrical impulse as Steve theorizes, default state is no voltage).

The bottom line is that the suspension resistance changes in the comfort setting from an initial-soft to more-firm for each bump.

I'm just trying to help you guys get good data to help solve this. I won't post anymore on it as I've said my peace! :)

Hi all... my 2 cents :)

I have a 2022 Model S Plaid.

I always thought that because I had a plaid, the ride was so stiff..even in "Comfort Mode". I understand the stiffness in sport mode, but it should have a much softer, comfortable ride in Comfort Mode. I live in New York and most of the streets here just plain suck!!
When I switch between Comfort and Sport, I barely notice a difference, if any at all.

I'm sure that the car capable of a softer ride via software update...or at least I hope! Haha! Keeping my fingers crossed.🤞