Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Only the new S has adaptive.

Up until... a few weeks ago.... air suspension had the role of lifting the car to different ride heights. The only purpose this served was to lower the car for slightly better fuel efficiency, and "good looks". Raising the car to get over speed bumps in parking lots, and the like.

People have been wanting more adaptive / active suspension since the car was introduced, for driving dynamics. Right @lolachampcar ?!

spatterso911

P100DL - Raven
Mar 3, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Latest information is that the adaptive suspension uses google maps data to adjust the suspension for the road you’re traveling on. I may also adjust based upon speed, yaw, pitch information from the sensors. I’ve heard nothing about any new sensors that “read” the road surfaces on the fly like Lincoln’s system does. Only time will tell if this strategy provides any real adjustment, but in a couple of reviews, the ride dampers adjust quickly and if you’re on 21” wheels the ride quality is perceptibly improved.

mb300sd

Aug 22, 2017
GA
Anyone with the new suspension have some photos of the differences? I'd love to retrofit if it'll bolt up, willing to have the car rooted, etc.

martinsfsu

May 27, 2019
Los Angeles
All MS as of late March (I think 27th and later) have adaptive suspension. My MS built 4/2019 and delivered in early June has it. I upgraded from a 90D with coil suspension and 21' wheels; felt like driving a Jeep offroad.

DigAdrenaline

Jul 27, 2018
Canada
Only the new S has adaptive.

Up until... a few weeks ago.... air suspension had the role of lifting the car to different ride heights. The only purpose this served was to lower the car for slightly better fuel efficiency, and "good looks". Raising the car to get over speed bumps in parking lots, and the like.

People have been wanting more adaptive / active suspension since the car was introduced, for driving dynamics. Right @lolachampcar ?!

Air suspension works AWESOME when there’s a 6 or 8 inches of snow on the residential streets too. Especially when it turns into deep ice ruts a few days later. Just jack it up and drive right over it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC