Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adblocker nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Personally, I've used various ad blockers basically forever now. I absolutely loathe advertisements littering content. If I feel the content is worthwhile I'm happy to donate/subscribe/whatever to support the content creator/host/etc. I will *never* whitelist a site and allow ads/malware/etc through. Ever. If the site demands that I do so (like many are doing these days), with no other options available to support the site and bypass the ads, then the content must not be worthwhile. I refuse to subject my machines to potential compromises.

Anyway, TMC's Supporting Member system was great in this regard. Donate to the site in exchange for no ads. I love it. Support the site with money that they'd never otherwise get from me (I'll never click ads even if they get through to me), and in exchange I dont have to worry about crappy advertisements. Win-win to both.

However, even though I'm a supporting member and the site doesn't display ads without an ad blocker enabled, I consider the ad blocker nag that appears at the top of every page to be pretty silly for supporting members even if they're using an ad blocker. Basically it might as well say, "Whitelist TMC so that you don't see this nag about ad blockers."

As someone who has donated $1k to TMC over the past couple of years, I'm reasonably certain you guys have made infinitely more revenue from that than you ever would from the ads that I'd never click anyway.

I don't visit here anywhere near as much as I used to prior to the site revamp (less than 1% as much as I used to), but the "disable your ad blocker" nag feels a little back handed to me as a substantial donor.

TLDR: Please disable the ad blocker nag for Supporting Members. @doug @danny

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler