TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Add a 110v outlet inside of the car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by musicious, Oct 22, 2015.

1. musicious

musicious Member

I remember reading how a 12v dc converter can blow the fuse or ruin the 12v battery, is there a safe way to have a 110v outlet installed that runs off the main battery so I could for example plugin my laptop? You'd think an electric car would have an option for an outlet :)

2. MileHighMotoring

#2 MileHighMotoring, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Off the main battery? Surely you jest. I think a low-wattage12v DC -> 120v AC inverter wouldn't hurt the battery if you unplugged it when not in use. What are you trying to power? Edit - I meant what's the wattage of the laptop?

3. jlucero

jlucero Member

he said laptop

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

5. yo mama

yo mama Member

Yeah, but he meant "margarita machine."

6. musicious

musicious Member

#6 musicious, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    my HP Probook is 65W, and my Sager is 220W, I think if I tried to connect the Sager it would fry the laptop too lol

7. ozweepay

ozweepay Member

Isn't this incredibly inefficient? If you plug a laptop into this, the power brick converts the 120V AC back to low voltage (probably 5V) DC.

I'm not an EE, but seems like you lose power in converting to AC and then back to DC for a DC appliance.

8. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I blew the fuze in my 85d. It's a serious shortcoming in an electric car. My last two hybrids had 120v outlets and we used them for the phones and laptops with no problems.

9. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Agree that this is pretty standard on today's cars. Our other car has a 110V outlet and it is handy when needed.

10. Jason

Jason Member

you can get adapter that plugs into the 12v outlet and goes directly to the laptop - just do search 'laptop car adapter' on amazon to see examples...

Does seem silly to go from 12v dc up to 110v ac then back down to 19v dc (most laptops)

11. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Yes, not ideal, but I wasn't using it for a laptop. Is there a better way to add a 110V outlet?