Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add a 110v outlet inside of the car?

musicious

Apr 11, 2015
Wheeling, IL
I remember reading how a 12v dc converter can blow the fuse or ruin the 12v battery, is there a safe way to have a 110v outlet installed that runs off the main battery so I could for example plugin my laptop? You'd think an electric car would have an option for an outlet :)

May 27, 2015
Parker, CO
Off the main battery? Surely you jest. I think a low-wattage12v DC -> 120v AC inverter wouldn't hurt the battery if you unplugged it when not in use. What are you trying to power? Edit - I meant what's the wattage of the laptop?

Last edited:

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles

ozweepay

Jul 16, 2015
Boulder, CO, USA
I was worried about blowing a fuse, too, but I think that happened with a Roadster and not a Model S. In any case, I have been using this in my Model S without incident for a couple of years now. You might want to check how much wattage the laptop draws to see if it will be compatible.

Amazon.com : BESTEK® 150W Power Inverter Car Charger with 2 USB Charging Ports(3.1A Shared) : Cell Phone Car Chargers : Electronics
Isn't this incredibly inefficient? If you plug a laptop into this, the power brick converts the 120V AC back to low voltage (probably 5V) DC.

I'm not an EE, but seems like you lose power in converting to AC and then back to DC for a DC appliance.

Reactions: Big_nobody

365gtb4

Jun 5, 2015
Redlands
I blew the fuze in my 85d. It's a serious shortcoming in an electric car. My last two hybrids had 120v outlets and we used them for the phones and laptops with no problems.

Jason

Feb 6, 2013
DFW, TX
you can get adapter that plugs into the 12v outlet and goes directly to the laptop - just do search 'laptop car adapter' on amazon to see examples...

Does seem silly to go from 12v dc up to 110v ac then back down to 19v dc (most laptops)

Reactions: emmz0r

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Isn't this incredibly inefficient? If you plug a laptop into this, the power brick converts the 120V AC back to low voltage (probably 5V) DC.

I'm not an EE, but seems like you lose power in converting to AC and then back to DC for a DC appliance.

Yes, not ideal, but I wasn't using it for a laptop. Is there a better way to add a 110V outlet?

Chaserr

Hyperactive Hyperdrive
Sep 5, 2017
Logan
You want an inverter, but it might be best to just get a newer laptop that charges on USBC and get a 63watt USB C 12v adapter instead.

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
I remember reading how a 12v dc converter can blow the fuse or ruin the 12v battery, is there a safe way to have a 110v outlet installed that runs off the main battery so I could for example plugin my laptop? You'd think an electric car would have an option for an outlet :)

May be a lot easier to get a 12V adapter for your laptop. It's a lot more efficient.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC