Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Additional Contact: Special characters in last name are not allowed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to add my wife as an additional contact to my Tesla account but it won't let me.

My last name has a hyphen in it and so does my wife's. If I spell out her name correctly I get the following messages when I try to save.:

"Special characters in last name are not allowed.
Special characters in last name are not allowed."

If I remove the hyphen from her name - or even just reduce her last name to a single character I still get:
"Special characters in last name are not allowed."

That is, with a hyphen in her name, I get the message twice, without any special characters I get the message once.

Now, my contact details do have the hyphen in them. I suspect that it is getting hung up on the hyphen in my name.

Any ideas how to resolve? Short of changing my contact name which is likely to break other things, I can't think of anything.

Short of changing my contact name which is likely to break other things, I can't think of anything.

This is the correct answer here unfortunately. I deal with this all the time working with software.

The reason this is happening is because the validation rules on your profile prevent hyphens in all last name fields, including yours. No matter which field you'll edit, validation rules get re-run when you save. Anything on your profile that is stored in the same data record will fail to save because your current information is "invalid".

The only way to fix it is to either change your name or report it to Tesla as a bug and get them to add this character to their validation. It's just an oversight on the part of the developers.