TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Add Charge Indicator Ring to Door Handle Class Action...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SabrToothSqrl, Apr 10, 2018.

?

How Many Charge Port Light replacements have you had?

1. 1

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0 - I have not needed a charge port light replacement

39 vote(s)
    90.7%
  1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

In addition to roughly 6-8 door handle failures, this is the THIRD failure of some blinking lights.

I don't know how Tesla can stay in business. By now I think they've put at least $10-20k into my car under warranty...

But that's not the issue. The issue is some stupid blinking lights shouldn't fail. This ring was installed only 2 months ago.

I don't abuse my charge port. Why is it failing so often? I just want it to work.

If anyone does have a class action on the door handles (unlike the last sell out?) please add charge rings.

How many is everyone else up to?

Attached Files:

• Disagree x 2
  2. youlikeadajuice

There’s no option for zero replacements. 2013 with 100k miles, no charge port light issues (or door handle replacements).

• Like x 5
  3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Two Model S's owned: A 2013 traded in with 35k miles and now a 2015 with 70k miles and no charge port issues. (Uh, oh. I just jinxed myself. We'll probably have a charge port failure today, just because I said something.)

4. richrootes

richrootes Member

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I would think this is a problem with the subcontractor, like the charge ports in the fall where they didn't fit superchargers because they were made a smidge too small. Who knows what specs they have for the electronic parts.

(And *that* seems to be another issue of why aren't the supercharger handles identical to the HPWC ones in the first place. WTF?!)

Seems to me all of these issues are to due with parts specs and QA, not actually 'Tesla'.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

0 on my 2016 and 0 on the company 2013

7. dweeks

dweeks Member

0 on all three Model S'.

8. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

None in the time I had my S - from 50,000 to 80,000 miles. Same for door handles, which I think were the original since they were the flush kind.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No charge port ring or door handle issues in 46,000 miles of my early S60 in almost 5 years.

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

0 on both my Ss. You've had some bad luck, that's not reason for a class action lawsuit.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Zero on two model S's

Perhaps it is the control module for the port??

12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Zero. Door handles all fine. No chargebport light problems.

13. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

14. Ande

Ande Member

whine, whine, whine...

Think of it, if your typical charging connector have some damage, defect, reducing it's contact surface area, it will generate more heat, and over time damage any connector that does not fit perfectly.

This is like whining over "bad" tires that are punctured on a curb, maybe, after three times, the answer is not the tires ?

• Disagree x 1
  15. SabrToothSqrl

According to the repair tech, he's done many of these.
    I can't be the only one.
    I don't have any reasonable explanation for why these break, other than, according to the tech, water gets in them, freezes, then they stop working...

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.28.5

Could it be the tech that's the problem? Maybe he's accidentally damaging them somehow when installing them?

17. harleyds

harleyds Member

This might be a good point. Maybe people can list the state they live in and if they had a failure, what month it happened?

I'm in FL, zero failures on a 2014 S, driven about 23,000 miles in S FL.

18. SabrToothSqrl

Apparently there is also more than one design. I have a 2013, so I can only assume I have the oldest design.

Here in PA we have this thing called weather. (I know, scary to any car maker from CA). that includes SNOW and WATER that falls from the sky on occasion.. even when it's zero to 32 degrees out...

• Like x 1
  19. Elric2176

Elric2176 Member

This was mine. Just a cosmetic issue, but I got it fixed just before warrantee ran out on my Late 2014 Model S, when I was getting other warrantee work done. I'm not sure wat time of year it happened; possibly May or June.

(I have a whole house surge suppressor.)

Charge port.jpg