Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add GPS capability that will work when driving with no cell service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a rural area with minimal cell service. My map display disappears and reloads very slowly depending on the cell service. My Garmin GPS works fine without cell service. Can Tesla integrate GPS with the Google map system so that I have continuous display?

I live in a rural area with minimal cell service. My map display disappears and reloads very slowly depending on the cell service. My Garmin GPS works fine without cell service. Can Tesla integrate GPS with the Google map system so that I have continuous display?
If you are navigating someplace, a map shows on the instrument cluster even if you are not in cell range. When I got my car, this navigation feature was part of the tech package. The map on the center console (which I greatly prefer) does require cell reception.

Google maps on my phone can cache map data on my device. It downloads the maps around my work and home area. How come Tesla doesn't have what comes free as an app for every smart phone?

I don't let Google follow me around, i.e. I don't use their search, DNS, mail, phone, maps, I do not allow javascript from their sites, etc.

Tesla's cooperation with Google is thus my most serious concern about becoming a Tesla owner.

Something like
OpenStreetMap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
would in my mind be a great improvement.

Btw, when an app is free, you and your personal information are the product.

Reactions: richardw0000
I don't let Google follow me around, i.e. I don't use their search, DNS, mail, phone, maps, I do not allow javascript from their sites, etc.

Tesla's cooperation with Google is thus my most serious concern about becoming a Tesla owner.

Something like
OpenStreetMap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
would in my mind be a great improvement.

Btw, when an app is free, you and your personal information are the product.

Wow and I thought I was paranoid? I am curious, what do you have against google?

Reactions: lklundin

Then you should please not buy a Tesla.

I assume your distrust of Google extends to other companies as well, which includes Tesla. Tesla constantly tracks all cars in the fleet in order to improve autopilot - and NOT anonymously - which is significantly more private information than Google has access to.

I don't want people who benefit from the collective gathering of data to then turn around and put pressure on Tesla to remove or reduce data gathering. If that ever happens I hope Tesla would cut off autopilot for all those who don't want to share driving behavior - but laws may compel them otherwise - and then all of us lose.

I do commend you however for not actually using Google search (how did you find out about TMC??), rather than using Google search with a tracking blocker. Most people would complain about mass data gathering, yet do 100's of searches every day that only works because of mass data gathering.

But in that spirit, you should then also not buy a Tesla, rather than buying one and complaining (or worse suing) about how it works.