Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Grab Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Here is a link to video where the guy removes the headliner and pillar trim. Seems easy enough. I plan on doing this so I can see what the best hard mount points might be. This cannot be too hard.

It is a deal breaker issue for my elderly parents who rely on the handle to enter and exit the vehicle.

Interesting. Here is a link to video where the guy removes the headliner and pillar trim. Seems easy enough. I plan on doing this so I can see what the best hard mount points might be. This cannot be too hard.

It is a deal breaker issue for my elderly parents who rely on the handle to enter and exit the vehicle.

Indeed I am having this issue with my dad getting in and out and it's becoming a bigger problem since I drive him more. Please let me know what you find. I really need to figure something out

Grab handles attached to the headliner may interfere with air bags, but grab handles attached to the A-pillar have, aside from a small speaker, no such constraint.

I'm confused - I thought the A pillar contained an airbag - as did the roof line

... not that there's any clear distinction any more between where the A pillar stops and the roof line begins

How about a shower suction handle from Bed Bath and Beyond?

NSFW

Attachments

• B878331E-5118-4575-B5CC-3B9B3E80C327.jpeg
    B878331E-5118-4575-B5CC-3B9B3E80C327.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 364
Things won't make sense to you until you lose a leg or an arm due to amputation. You are very insensitive to the above comments.
I’m guessing you are referring to the handicap. If you took a minute or two and read the original post is about grab bars for quick acceleration and hard turns for passenger in typical cars other than Tesla.

Anyhow I confirm my wife is pretty happy with this.

Attachments

• 48822A04-2E3C-40F2-BEFF-990A0083FB59.jpeg
    48822A04-2E3C-40F2-BEFF-990A0083FB59.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 251
  • A6AD06C8-4B50-4F3F-95E7-F7895ACD94A0.jpeg
    A6AD06C8-4B50-4F3F-95E7-F7895ACD94A0.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 56A774DC-99CE-46ED-99EF-303C8397C252.jpeg
    56A774DC-99CE-46ED-99EF-303C8397C252.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 248
I’m guessing you are referring to the handicap. If you took a minute or two and read the original post is about grab bars for quick acceleration and hard turns for passenger in typical cars other than Tesla.

I put those into my 95 year old father's bathroom.

It fell off about 6 months after install. So you have to remove and re-install every once in a while. Since he heard it fall on the tile floor he doesn't trust it now and won't use it.

Had to buy the screw in type for the bathroom.

Reactions: charlesoris
I'm in a wheelchair and I depend on these grab bars to transfer in and out of my cars. I was so disappointed when I test drove a MY and found no grab bars. I've been looking to see if it was possible but could never get an answer so the fact that there's air bags in the headliner answers my question. I test drove the Mach-E recently and was happy to see they do provide them but I'm really hoping Tesla will reconsider putting these on.
It's unfortunate. I'm so sorry.
You might take a look at the EV6. They have the handles and the Wind version is cheaper than the ID4 w better range and more standard features. REALLY hope Tesla fixes this as a lot of friends and family and myself need them on bad days when our older bodies are cooperating. Take care.

Sorry, I just saw your response.
My situation is very unusual due to having a partially working right arm and an amputated right leg.
The occupational therapist warned me not to use any suction handles due to potential health risks if the handles come undone - all aid fixtures must be securely attached to any surface.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
Elon is the only one who can make this problem go away - and a”problem“ it IS. My wife and I are an older couple. Being the driver most of the time I can live without the handle, though there are times I would really appreciate it. But my wife recently hurt her back and after struggling painfully getting out of our Model S refuses to get in again.

This is our 2nd MS over the past 10 years and we’ve loved both cars, but feel that this insane victory of form over function can only hurt the company in the long run, especially with new EV models coming from all over the world.

The Koreans build some excellent automobiles and once the Japanese get their act together Tesla will have some real competition to have to deal with. Then there is the Chinese. . . It’s fun reading about a Plaid beating exotics that sell for 10 times the price, but how many people actually make their buying decisions on such attributes? Sure, great for advertising and YouTube and maybe we’ll see zero to 60 in .2 seconds less and more games next year, but no hand grips?

Reactions: cfl246tho