TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Add Homelink Module?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Thomas Allen, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Thomas Allen

Thomas Allen Member

My Model S does not have the Tech Package. Does anyone know if I can simply add the Homelink module to add this functionality to my car. If so, does anyone know where the Homelink module gets attached? Thanks.

2. zambono

zambono Member

You might be able to add an aftermarket rear view mirror or something of the sort with homelink

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

You might check with Tesla. It could already be there but not activated. We believe Australian cars are like that, NONE of ours come with Homelink due to an issue with the manufacturer and this country. A major peeve of ours. We know it's there but it can't be used.....Tesla allegedly is looking into an alternative for us but after 18 months and no movement I don't hold out much hope.

4. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

The homelink module attaches immediately behind the nosecone. You would need to get the module, which is possible (maybe
    ?) from Tesla. Alternatively, homelink modules are pretty universal and the different auto manufacturers just slap their own label on them (they are all built by Johnson Controls, IIRC), but you need to make sure it is the correct version. I believe Tesla uses version 4.

Here is what it looks like:
    tesla homelink.jpg

It may, however, have to be turned on in software, and for that you would need Tesla to turn it on.

5. Thomas Allen

Thomas Allen Member

Thank you. I appreciate the insightful information

6. electric_feel

electric_feel The Electric Baron

My 2013 S does not have the tech package either, and my service center said they could not add the Homelink feature either. I would also be concerned about buying the module and then somehow convincing Tesla to activate the feature, if that were at all possible. I just ended using some industrial Velcro to attach my garage door opener just under the center console.