Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Model Y to Insurance Policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mytesla webpage under next steps says Insurance. Do I need to do this now inorder to get a delivery date or can I just add model y right before delivery happens. Also how do I add this to say Geico if I dont have possession of the vehicle yet?

You don’t need to provide proof of a model y policy. You have to show proof you have auto coverage on your existing car. Most insurance companies give a grace period when you buy a new car to update the policy after the purchase. You can just upload your existing auto card.
It depends on the state. Someone posted a link, can't find it in the Tesla FAQ right now.

Perhaps someone actually from FL can answer but it is one of the states that requires the vin to be specifically listed on the policy. I would contact your agent and give them the details and they can put the coverage in force on the day you need it.

I live in SC and have to wait on the VIN number to finalize the insurance. This is what my order page is showing in regards to VIN related insurance requirement:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.28.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.28.39 AM.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.30.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.30.04 AM.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 118
First time posting on his forum... I received a couple of texts and a phone call from Tesla more than 2 weeks ago. I entered all of the "Next Steps" on my account except final payment. No confirmed delivery date yet but hopefully I'll be taking delivery by 3/31/2020. Regarding insurance, in Massachusetts where we will take delivery, 1-2 days before taking delivery the car dealer and the insurance agent work directly with each other to confirm a policy is in place. So the Tesla Sales Manager in MA said all he needed me to upload to my account was an insurance quote with the name and contact info of the agent for them to contact. The other important thing to note (I've seen this on several YouTube videos for all Tesla model purchases) the VIN on your MVPA could be a place holder and could change a few days before delivery. My insurance agent said she was familiar with this on Teslas and was able to get enough info from my VIN to give me a tentative quote (final quote after the dealer gives her the actual VIN). BTW, my VIN is under 500 so I am skeptical that is the actual VIN... we will see. I'll keep you posted.

First time posting on his forum... I received a couple of texts and a phone call from Tesla more than 2 weeks ago. I entered all of the "Next Steps" on my account except final payment. No confirmed delivery date yet but hopefully I'll be taking delivery by 3/31/2020. Regarding insurance, in Massachusetts where we will take delivery, 1-2 days before taking delivery the car dealer and the insurance agent work directly with each other to confirm a policy is in place. So the Tesla Sales Manager in MA said all he needed me to upload to my account was an insurance quote with the name and contact info of the agent for them to contact. The other important thing to note (I've seen this on several YouTube videos for all Tesla model purchases) the VIN on your MVPA could be a place holder and could change a few days before delivery. My insurance agent said she was familiar with this on Teslas and was able to get enough info from my VIN to give me a tentative quote (final quote after the dealer gives her the actual VIN). BTW, my VIN is under 500 so I am skeptical that is the actual VIN... we will see. I'll keep you posted.
When did u order ? Specs of Y ?
Thanks & congrats !!

Perhaps someone actually from FL can answer but it is one of the states that requires the vin to be specifically listed on the policy. I would contact your agent and give them the details and they can put the coverage in force on the day you need it.

Yes the VIN must be on the policy. To purchase you need proof of insurance on current car because a car cannot have title transferred in FL without proof of insurance (unless the car will not be driven), but you have a brief period of wiggle room to add the specific car from the days before digital insurance cards. Since I have Geico, I typically add the car to my policy at the time of purchase because unlike here I usually don't know the VIN until I'm signing the paperwork.

So I'm also stuck on the "upload" proof of insurance step. (I'm located in GA). Spoke with my insurance company, and they can't create "proof of insurance" with a VIN number...

2 questions.

1. Do I just upload a proof of insurance of my existing vehicle? (website says not allowed for Georgia)
2. Wait for Tesla to send me a VIN number? or are they waiting on me to upload the proof of insurance?

This part of the process is not "easily" understood...

Thanks all for advice. on these 2 options, or others you have used that worked?

So I'm also stuck on the "upload" proof of insurance step. (I'm located in GA). Spoke with my insurance company, and they can't create "proof of insurance" with a VIN number...

2 questions.

1. Do I just upload a proof of insurance of my existing vehicle? (website says not allowed for Georgia)
2. Wait for Tesla to send me a VIN number? or are they waiting on me to upload the proof of insurance?

This part of the process is not "easily" understood...

Thanks all for advice. on these 2 options, or others you have used that worked?

I was in the same situation until yesterday when the "On the way" email, "Select appointment" text, account page updated to "Provide payment" and contract appeared with VIN there and in the source code search. Now I can call my insurance company to provide it. All of those things happened 2 days after getting the call from my local Tesla delivery center. They're pushing hard to close out the quarter.

I was in the same situation until yesterday when the "On the way" email, "Select appointment" text, account page updated to "Provide payment" and contract appeared with VIN there and in the source code search. Now I can call my insurance company to provide it. All of those things happened 2 days after getting the call from my local Tesla delivery center. They're pushing hard to close out the quarter.

Thanks, yes it appears they're trying to hit their quarterly number...

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you wait after filling in the various forms, before you got the email? days, weeks, months?

Just trying to keep my family calm, as they're more excited than I am...

Thanks!

Changed to Prepare for Delivery 3/8 in account but email came 3/10 (I check my account all the time)
Never put in Insurance or Payment Info
3/17 Phone call from delivery center confirming ready
3/19 Email Tesla on the way
3/19 Text Offering Delivery Time/Day (offered 3/30 & 3/31 and I took 3/31 after 3/30 were full)
3/19 Account changed to Please pay prior to delivery and contract/VIN (188x) appeared

It depends on the state. Someone posted a link, can't find it in the Tesla FAQ right now.

To satisfy web site you just need proof of current insurance. To pickup you want an insurance binder for that VIN. It may vary by state but in MA Tesla registers it at pickup time (not a temp registration) and it can’t be registered without a stamped insurance binder for that VIN (which is all electronic now).