Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add powerwall to existing system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had luck getting Tesla to budge on the new policy of only fulfilling powerwall orders with a new system, and not being able to add to an existing system? I placed an order for a 4kw system with powerwall but I don’t have the space for the panels after looking at their design. Demand charges are killing me - I should’ve went with powerwall to begin with.

Yup, we got our PowerWalls and Gateway via an independent 3rd party contractor about six months after that same contractor installed our solar. Aside from interminable delays in getting product from Tesla, which kept slipping delivery dates on both the PowerWalls and the Gateway, it all worked out fine.

When we had our Tesla-authorized SunPower contractor build out our system, their "SunVault" battery solution did not exist, which is why we went with PowerWalls. However, we don't look back with regret, because while SunPower talks about using their SunVault to "back up essentials," we use our Powerwalls to run the entire house, including air conditioning and, when necessary, charging the car. Here's the SunVault info for folks who may be seeking an alternative if Tesla is giving them the "no, sorry, can't do that" dance: SunVault the Solar Battery Storage System for Homeowners

I'm looking at installing the Solar Roof on my rental property in Berkeley; I don't think I want/need a powerwall since it seems the best use case is marginally less energy useage and backup generation, neither of which I care that much about.

That said, I would be interested at some point to add a powewall (maybe when it's powerwall 5!) and just wanted to see if that should be functionally feasible.

@komrade - yeah, that's what I understand as well...but even with all the credits seems like pricey insurance for when the power goes out (esp. vs. say a diesel generator, which should have a better useful life than Powerwall)...

@tfan2018 - Agree, but since this is a rental, the utilities are covered by my tenants anyway and it still seems like pricey insurance against future-proofing with something that has a finite lifespan.

I don't think there's any benefit in trying to future proof an installation for later battery addition.
The rules, conditions and required equipment may/will have changed when you do want it, so the whole system (existing + new) has to be re-designed for then anyway.
If there's one thing all inspectors dislike - things on the plan that are not at the site (and vice-versa).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm looking at installing the Solar Roof on my rental property in Berkeley; I don't think I want/need a powerwall since it seems the best use case is marginally less energy useage and backup generation, neither of which I care that much about.

That said, I would be interested at some point to add a powewall (maybe when it's powerwall 5!) and just wanted to see if that should be functionally feasible.

To answer your question, yes it should be functionally feasible to add powerwalls later if you want. many of us in fact added powerwalls to existing solar, so there is no technical limitation that can not be overcome, in doing that.

There could be regulatory issues though, as in, perhaps adding the powerwall later forces you onto an undesirable electrical service plan, or changes your NEM (net energy metering) installation date, or something like that.

For myself, I would be asking "why do I want solar in the first place on this rental property?" because the answer to that question might also dictate needing some sort of storage to go with it.

I dont think I would do solar without storage at this point, myself. I would either not do it at all, or do solar + storage (someones, doesnt have to be tesla).

@jjrandorin - Curious why storage is so important to you? Maybe I'm missing the use-case but it seems just for emergencies; since the solar Tesla has designed for me is over 100% of my (tenants') useage, it seems my bill should functionally go to $0 (even though I'm using at night and contributing during the day).

Re: solar on a rental - I'm looking at a new roof anyway, and I think future-proofing makes more sense than putting on another standard 30-year roof. I think it will also attract tenants who for environmental or financial reasons see low/free electricity as a net positive that they'll pay more for? (but I can't imagine a tenant would ascribe value to the battery any more so than if I put a diesel generator there).

going solar only means you need more panels than actual usage to overcome time of use peak rates. With pw, less panels would have been needed since pw will cover usage during peak rates. Rates are ever changing and solar benefits will continue to erode over time.