Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add powerwall to existing tesla solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am about to close on a house in santa clara county (95037) which comes with existing tesla solar panels (owned) (no Powerwall). I do not know the load currently or my expected usage, but given that NEM3.0 is kicking in on 4/13 (15?), I had 2 questions
1) Can I add tesla powerwall to the existing system? Panels are tesla. Do I need to do that before NEM3.0
2) If I choose to postpone PW installation, do I need to proactively do anything else (about registration or transfer of solar panels) to grandfather to NEM2.0?

Thanks.

Hi All,
I am about to close on a house in santa clara county (95037) which comes with existing tesla solar panels (owned) (no Powerwall). I do not know the load currently or my expected usage, but given that NEM3.0 is kicking in on 4/13 (15?), I had 2 questions
1) Can I add tesla powerwall to the existing system? Panels are tesla. Do I need to do that before NEM3.0
2) If I choose to postpone PW installation, do I need to proactively do anything else (about registration or transfer of solar panels) to grandfather to NEM2.0?

Thanks.
Edit: The first point of the question is to ask if Tesla will sell the PW to me. I am currently unsure about exploring 3P options.

Yes, you can add powerwalls to existing solar, but not through Tesla. They only install powerwalls with new solar. Third-party installers may be able to get powerwalls, but lead time can be long (months). You do not need to do this before NEM 3.0, and probably couldn't anyway if the property is not yet yours.
No. Existing NEM 2.0 systems can be transferred to the new owner. It would be good to confirm with your utility that the transfer occurred once you start service with them.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Edit: The first point of the question is to ask if Tesla will sell the PW to me. I am currently unsure about exploring 3P options.
I was in a similar situation a few months ago, decided to forego PW completely (Santa Clara requirements for PW installs are crazy, Tesla does not look into innovative installs(like you see in other countries), Tesla customer service sucks (still waiting for a repair on a badly installed panel in October 2022, reports of a humming sound resonating through the house frame (rare, but awful if it happens to you), and the most important, for me, is the availability of bidirectional car chargers coming (will put my money into a larger car battery).

[Follow up question now that I have closed the property]

If I want to add more panels to the existing (NEM2.0) system after April, will my whole system transfer to NEM3.0?
Also, since the current panels are Tesla, can I order a new system with Tesla panels+PW, and tie ALL PANELS (old+new) to the new powerwall? (Assuming in this case that Tesla is installing the PW).
Santa Clara County and PGE, if that matters.

Thanks a lot.

[Follow up question now that I have closed the property]

If I want to add more panels to the existing (NEM2.0) system after April, will my whole system transfer to NEM3.0?
Also, since the current panels are Tesla, can I order a new system with Tesla panels+PW, and tie ALL PANELS (old+new) to the new powerwall? (Assuming in this case that Tesla is installing the PW).
Santa Clara County and PGE, if that matters.

Thanks a lot.
Yes
Yes.

Reactions: BGbreeder