Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Range With Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could a Powerwall be placed in the car to add range? Any idea how many miles it would add? Also why can't we use the pack in the car as a powerwall when at home or say camping/tailgating?

Isn't a Powerwall unit only about 7kWh? Is so that is 10% of the capacity of a Model S 70, so figure it might add ~20 miles. (Less probably because of the weight.)

No, that isn't going to be an option.

One reason is that Tesla doesn't want people going to the Supercharger charging up, then running home and selling the power to their utility. (lather, rinse, repeat.) Also, there are complications with doing that and expense for the home wiring. (And then what happen if you used your car to power things during a power outage, and then suddenly you need to leave because a flood, fire, etc. Your car is empty and you can't go anywhere.)

Isn't a Powerwall unit only about 7kWh? Is so that is 10% of the capacity of a Model S 70, so figure it might add ~20 miles. (Less probably because of the weight.)

No, that isn't going to be an option.

One reason is that Tesla doesn't want people going to the Supercharger charging up, then running home and selling the power to their utility. (lather, rinse, repeat.) Also, there are complications with doing that and expense for the home wiring. (And then what happen if you used your car to power things during a power outage, and then suddenly you need to leave because a flood, fire, etc. Your car is empty and you can't go anywhere.)

20miles isn't much but it might be nicer than being towed to a charger, maybe something roadside assistance could use.

I didn't think about the resale of SC electricity, I'm sure the OS in the car could prevent that kind of abuse or charge for it.

Just seems odd to use a Powerwall or generator when you could just use a portion of the cars pack. I think most Tesla owners have another car they could use to leave in an emergency or the car could keep a reserve.

A Powerwall weights 220 pounds, not exactly something to lug around.

With regard to using the car as a power backup, why mess with the single most expensive part of the car for a fringe use case (homes only, and car must be parked nearby)? I'd rather buy a CNG generator for a few grand and know that I have something purpose built in case of a disaster.

Do you really want your car plugged in while something is happening that caused a power outage? First thing I'd do if the power flickered is unplug my car; I'd hate to see a surge or lightning hit it (the latter I've had actually strike the underground power line leading to my house).

Reactions: MP3Mike
Actually that has already happened, [UPDATE] Tesla Model S Struck By Lightning While Charging

I still think there should be more use made of the cars rather amazing although expensive battery. In some areas it could even help the power grid by charging at night and then helping during the day when power is more expensive and less available. In some places people lose power for hours almost every day. Basically it has all the pros of 10 Powerwalls plus its mobile. The wiring would be as cheap and simple as a generator but more reliable and less smelly.

I do water restoration for a living and see many failed lead acid battery back ups and generators because they never get used or maintained.

Actually that has already happened, [UPDATE] Tesla Model S Struck By Lightning While Charging

I still think there should be more use made of the cars rather amazing although expensive battery. In some areas it could even help the power grid by charging at night and then helping during the day when power is more expensive and less available. In some places people lose power for hours almost every day. Basically it has all the pros of 10 Powerwalls plus its mobile. The wiring would be as cheap and simple as a generator but more reliable and less smelly.

I do water restoration for a living and see many failed lead acid battery back ups and generators because they never get used or maintained.
Her thread on the incident:
So, my car was hit by lightning at the Grove City, OH supercharger...

Reactions: zp85
I love the idea of being able to connect an optional trailer with a long distance Battery package, to add range,
Fancy a model of low height and long trailer, so as to accomodate 2 adults sleep. Further, owners could easily attach a bicycle carrier or other utilities on top.
Other than the electrical connection to the car (design and sufficient power handling), and possible power management, what hurdles needs to be overcome? I am most curious!

A better model IMO is a battery that is sized correctly for your daily driving needs with the option to swap in a bigger pack for long distance travel. Just swing by the service center on your way out of town to swap in your long range pack for a reasonable fee.
I find it wasteful that most Teslas would have a 90 or 100 kWh pack when the average driver would only need the energy in a 40 kWh pack in day to day use. Hauling around extra weight and the additional resources required to produce the larger batteries seems wasteful and counter to Tesla's mission. Not to mention that I pay a yearly tax on the value of the vehicle which includes the battery. Bigger battery = more cost over the life of the car.
That said, I also believe Tesla (or others) will eventually get the energy density and production cost of the packs to the point where there is less of an impact. Perhaps they don't want to bother which such a plan if the secret battery tech that makes this a non-issue is just around the corner.

As for using the car to power the home in an outage/emergency, I am all for it. Again, why advertise this as a feature of the powerwall and not the car? Seems like a great marketing opportunity and nice to not spend thousands on a fossil fuel burning generator (natural gas is not the solution to the climate problem).

A better model IMO is a battery that is sized correctly for your daily driving needs with the option to swap in a bigger pack for long distance travel. Just swing by the service center on your way out of town to swap in your long range pack for a reasonable fee.
I find it wasteful that most Teslas would have a 90 or 100 kWh pack when the average driver would only need the energy in a 40 kWh pack in day to day use. Hauling around extra weight and the additional resources required to produce the larger batteries seems wasteful and counter to Tesla's mission. Not to mention that I pay a yearly tax on the value of the vehicle which includes the battery. Bigger battery = more cost over the life of the car.
That said, I also believe Tesla (or others) will eventually get the energy density and production cost of the packs to the point where there is less of an impact. Perhaps they don't want to bother which such a plan if the secret battery tech that makes this a non-issue is just around the corner.

As for using the car to power the home in an outage/emergency, I am all for it. Again, why advertise this as a feature of the powerwall and not the car? Seems like a great marketing opportunity and nice to not spend thousands on a fossil fuel burning generator (natural gas is not the solution to the climate problem).

I think this idea would be kinda cool (the extended range, temporary battery.

It could be a carpeted/molded pack with a handle that fits in your trunk (think speaker box-style). Tesla could have a panel with the connector hidden, maybe near where the cubbyhole is for charging adapter storage in the S. Plug it in, select the battery from the interface, and go.

You could either set it to be used in conjunction with the onboard battery, or set it up so that the battery won't be used until the onboard gets below a certain SoC......

just a thought.