Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Sound Insulation to Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound insulation is a layer of foam pasted inside the tire. If it is not fixed properly or if it opens after some amount driving it will create lot of issues. I advice is don't do it yourself, ask a tire shop if they can do it as they know better and are more knowledgeable about if it can be done or even should be done at all.

Reactions: HeyEph
I don't think it can be added but I also don't think it makes much difference. I changed to non-foam tires within the first 400 or so miles with my Model Y so I couldn't really tell you how much difference it made for my Model Y. I CAN tell you that we went from Michelin Primacy tires WITH foam on our Model 3 to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 WITHOUT foam and it made no discernible difference.

I don't think you'll notice much, if any, difference going to the non-foam tires. I certainly wouldn't try to add it or pay a premium for tires that have it.

Like the last poster stated it must be an XL load rating or you will have problems in a short time. I changed from the stock Continentals with foam at 42000 miles and went to Michelin Cross Climate 2s without foam. After a couple thousand miles the tires worked in and the noise level isn't much different from the stock tires.