Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added LED lights to frunk! But switched stop working ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the evoffers automated frunk. I did this great upgrade this weekend.running led rope light in the frunk.
it looks great and took 10 min. But for some reason the physical emergency button does not close the frunk . The button is lit but it won't close the frunk. Disconnecting the LED light it works fine.
Could it be the 12v stock battery doesn't have enough juice ?

Reactions: scratch
I tapped into the wires for the frunk light. I bought the same length as the one in the post.iNextStation Neon LED Strip Light 16.4ft/5m 12V DC 600 SMD2835 LEDs Waterproof Flexible LED NEON Light for Indoors Outdoors Decor [ White | No Power Adapter] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V37WBR...abc_HQSE9E1TWS7RK40CTCJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cut down to the exact length needed to go around the frunk. It seems to be the lowest power LED rope light I could find. So far. The way I've gotten around opening and closing my frunk is using Google voice and the tessie app. I messaged evoffers they said it can't be fixed via firmware. They are going to work on a solution though since apparently tapping into the button is the problem.

i did this same setup today and at first the button worked, but as the hood came down, it hit me while i was still cleaning up and the hood stopped., and i had to manually bring it up again..and after that the button stopped working...does anybody know how to get the button to work again?

I have the same problem in my Model Y Performance 2023, the car has 15 days. If I connect the led strip them the push button doesn't work. I have a powered frunk too but I bypassed this option, closed manually and the button doesn't work too. It only works without the strip or when the light is off.
Has anybody any advance over this?

When the weather will improve, I don't have a garaje, I will check if the button close circuit with the ground or the positive. Perhaps the solution would be a capacitor or a diode.

Answering to myself. When I push the button I join signal cable with negative signal. When I connect the led.strip the negative signal has a "noise" caused by the strip and there is a little change in the vale from 0. This is enough to produce the error in the power frunk CPU or in the car computer.

The solution finally is very easy. If I connect the strip bar to the central cable of the button (positive) and to any car ground the strip bar works perfectly and the button open and close the powered frunk.

Answering to myself. When I push the button I join signal cable with negative signal. When I connect the led.strip the negative signal has a "noise" caused by the strip and there is a little change in the vale from 0. This is enough to produce the error in the power frunk CPU or in the car computer.

The solution finally is very easy. If I connect the strip bar to the central cable of the button (positive) and to any car ground the strip bar works perfectly and the button open and close the powered frunk.
Can you explain more? My frunk LED strip bar attaches to the two cables (yellow and grey) that connect to my frunk button. How do I connect the LED strip bar to the ground of the car?

Can you explain more? My frunk LED strip bar attaches to the two cables (yellow and grey) that connect to my frunk button. How do I connect the LED strip bar to the ground of the car?
It's easy. The color cables change depending of the manufacturer and the car model. Mine it's a Model Y Performance, right hand drive, manufactured in China last 2022 December, and my light bar has 2 cables, one red (positive) and one black (negative). With the power frunk if I connect the lights the button doesn't work, a common problem.
The positive cable of the led strip must be connected to the central cable that arrived to the button. This is the positive.
And the other cable of the strip must be connected to the negative that it's in the ground, in the chassis. In the frunk lock (electric version) we have a steel cable that move the lock when we open. This steel cable has an adjust, a metallic nut. I connect the cable to this point and works fine, but you can choose any other screw or nut that touch in the chassis. See the photo to understand it.

Attachments

• Sin título-1.png
    Sin título-1.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 318
If you connect the +/- wiring to the lamp the electric frunk stopped to work pushing the button. The - wire is coming from an ECU, and with all the residues and interferences generated by the led strip, the powered frunk ECU doesn't work. Connecting the - wire of the led strip to the chassis the problem is solved.

Reactions: randomwalk101
Just wanted to add to this discussion - I bought a Satonic frunk opener (V6) for my MY and it came with a free LED light strip. I too had the button failure when the light was connected. Cutting the negative wire from the LED light and grounding it to the frunk latch mechanism fixed the issue - internal frunk emergency open button and LED light both work now. Thank you for helping out - Satonic's tech reply was " the frunk led is gift , For some cars , it is like that"

• Informative
Reactions: WattsSon