Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added lighting to center console (mod)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_7106.JPG
I'm not sure why Tesla didn't put any lightning in there, but it's too hard to see the cupholders in the dark when in Drive.

I put some led light strip in there. Much better! Easy to do by running underneath that rubber and into the center console USB port for power.

I bought a little USB light on a gooseneck and simply plug it into the USB port when I want it. It's definitely not as convenient as being there & on all the time, but I don't want to leave the gooseneck up and risk catching it on something which in turn stresses the USB port itself. Anyway, for less than $10 on Amazon and zero installation time, I like it.

Reactions: mal_tsla
Nice!

This was pretty easy, actually. I ran the USB along the same channel that the built-in phone dock cable uses.

It's super easy to pull up on that and expose the channel and center hole. You can pass the light strip through that hole down into the console and clip the cable into the built-in clips.

Then I pulled up the rubber "floor" in the console and simply put the cable under it.

Next I used double-sided tape to stick the lightstrip onto the bar that goes across the console at the front just under where the sliding cover rests when it is open.

It's probably 5 minutes work. The hard part is finding a decent lightstrip. I used this one:

Amazon.com: Led Strip Light, AQV USB Decorative Lamp Strip Lights Side Emitting Flexible White SMD 5050 3.28 Ft (1M) 60 leds 12v bias Rope Lighting, Waterproof Adhesive Tape Lights Kit for TV/PC/Laptop Background: Health & Personal Care

For $7, but the color was too blue for my tastes, so I took some extra effort to tint it using orange photography gels so it matches the car better. I would love to find a lightstrip that has the right color to begin with.

The link to Amazon doesn't seem to work anymore, but this is something I've been exploring with my lighting manufacturer. The biggest challenge is that 'brighter=better' when it comes to LED lighting, but for something like this, subtle and a better color is far more important.

Agree. I clobbered it together using orange photography gels to warm up the led hue and covered maybe 3/4 of the strip's face so it only puts out a fraction of the light.

There's a good opportunity for someone with manufacturing connections to build a drop-in kit for this. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Desired:
1. 90 degree usb plug just like the iPhone dock plug the car comes with. This will make it a tiny bit more tidy.

2. White hue to match PUP accent lighting (like on the front doors on X)

3. Perfect cable lead length to go under rubber console floor, out front, and up to the cross support under the sliding top and then nice diffuse soft glow LEDs to stick onto the face of the cross.

4. Nice to have - a small gentle white led on the usb connector itself, aimed forward to light the phone dock area a bit. This would light the cupholders and the phone dock and would be ideal!

I ran a USB extension under the deck under the push-push door and added an LED strip into the console under the drink holders. The LED I bought from Amazon has so many variations of lights that I just set it to solid white, dimmed it a bit and pulled off the backing and stuck it to the bottom of the console on the yacht floor.

IMG_0178.jpg IMG_0180.jpg

I ran a USB extension under the deck under the push-push door and added an LED strip into the console under the drink holders. The LED I bought from Amazon has so many variations of lights that I just set it to solid white, dimmed it a bit and pulled off the backing and stuck it to the bottom of the console on the yacht floor.

View attachment 212140 View attachment 212141

I'm hoping these are in-progress pictures and you don't plan to leave like that...?

Agree. I clobbered it together using orange photography gels to warm up the led hue and covered maybe 3/4 of the strip's face so it only puts out a fraction of the light.

There's a good opportunity for someone with manufacturing connections to build a drop-in kit for this. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Desired:
1. 90 degree usb plug just like the iPhone dock plug the car comes with. This will make it a tiny bit more tidy.

2. White hue to match PUP accent lighting (like on the front doors on X)

3. Perfect cable lead length to go under rubber console floor, out front, and up to the cross support under the sliding top and then nice diffuse soft glow LEDs to stick onto the face of the cross.

4. Nice to have - a small gentle white led on the usb connector itself, aimed forward to light the phone dock area a bit. This would light the cupholders and the phone dock and would be ideal!
Why don't you message pete8314 . He works with Abstract Ocean. Maybe they would be interested. They already make the interior LED replacement lights. I would buy it too. If they're not sure about demand, they could poll the forum members.

Hey.. I'm trying something similar... but I want to hard wire it to the 12v plug connection so I don't use up a USB or the 12v power point.

Anyone know how to get into the back of the 12v power point?

Thanks..

-m