Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added Thermal Imaging Camera To My 2015 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Just thought I'd share my project to add a Speedir thermal imaging camera to my 2015 85D and have it come up on the center screen. The project is nearly finished and here is a shot of the grill install (yes, needs a bit of tidying up) and the first video imaging in my driveway. I'll post more live footage soon.

The idea for those not familiar is that the thermal camera picks up heat from people and animals in darkness and low visibility conditions. This model of Speedir will box the image and change color with distance.

Where I live with many country roads and animals about this will hopefully help. The interface box is the one that @BearBu developed. I have a video output to HDMI converter interface box in between. The idea is to easily toggle into the thermal camera mode as required.

I'm readying for a long cross-country trip in a couple of weeks so it is sure to get a good workout.

2B198652-1288-4728-88A1-280B30C01E54_1_105_c.jpeg

I'll try to update with moving videos soon.

Nice job! I'd much rather have one of these than any of the video games or other gimmicks that Tesla seems so fond of; it's the one thing I've been truly jealous of Taycan owners for. I look forward to seeing more videos once you have some experience with it in nighttime highway situations to see if it can spot animals far enough away to be useful.

Nice job! I'd much rather have one of these than any of the video games or other gimmicks that Tesla seems so fond of; it's the one thing I've been truly jealous of Taycan owners for. I look forward to seeing more videos once you have some experience with it in nighttime highway situations to see if it can spot animals far enough away to be useful.
Thanks, yes I see it as an aid in low light and bad weather situations. I don't expect it to identify and "box" everything (it's better with motion or face-on I am finding) but to provide clues or at times when things are hard to spot.. I live around country roads where we have a lot of wildlife on the side of the roads - kangaroos, wallabies and wombats in particular but sometimes large pythons or echidnas making their way at slow speed. These are not freeways so the speed to react should be reasonable if the heat signature is distinct enough. It may just be enough to help an if it can save even one collision it would be worth more than many of the other features costing much more - including all of those games that I never use either!

789C2BF4-3915-45ED-B205-48E161CF1E6B_1_105_c.jpeg
. I am sharing s
8C7C35BA-3257-4220-9A59-D63C1C0F3CA1_1_105_c.jpeg
44CF9807-9AD7-4024-951F-0906ABA7CBAE_1_105_c.jpeg
ome other images I have taken in various daylight settings but in static mode. Will do more during our upcoming travels.
Wow, nicely done. I'll have to look at that. I live out of town a few miles and driving in the dark, even with high beams, leaves a lot to be desired with deer, turkeys and other critters running about in the dark.

Reactions: KalJoMoS and TLej
And here is just one for curiosity during my daytime commute. Note the heat signature from the exhausts including the motorbike (also reflected off of the pavement) and also the occasional brake calliper or transaxle lights up. Tire tread too - some clearly "hotter" than others.
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 1.35.01 pm.png
1616726805136.png