Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding „Tesla button“ to Mennekes Wallbox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Tesla wallchargers and public/outdoor have this button on the plug/connector, used to remotely open the chargeport and to unlock the port enabling extraction of the connector. Just like Superchargers have.

I have a Mennekes Type2 wallbox at home with a standard Type2 cable. It has no button or anything. The wallbox is from 2014 so it‘s long out of warranty. Inside the wallbox, there are the usual 5 power related cables and the two pilot-cables for communication with the car.

my question: how does that button work? Does it require any „intelligence“ in the wallbox or does that button simply feed from the „pilot comms cables“? Using the power to power it‘s transmitter (sending a signal to the car to open it‘s chargeport)?

if no „intelligence“ from the wallbox is required, it should be possible to unscrew the current cable and screw in a cable from a damaged Tesla wallbox who’s cable and connector are undamaged.

As you probably know you can now, with the latest firmware, unlock a non-Tesla plug with the button at the charge port. No need anymore for add-on's :)

Umm... Unless I've missed osmething obvious, I don't have a button at the charge port. Is that something that's on your Model S but not on my M3?

For what it's worth, as somebody else coming to a Tesla from an i3, I also miss the way the i3 worked. There, I could unlock the car just by putting my hand on the door handle when the key was in my pocket. This stopped the charging (assuming it was just a type-2, not a rapid charger) and unlocked the port. So with one quick gesture I could unlock, unplug and then open the door and get in. The charging port was even on the same side as the drivers door for us, which made it even easier.

With the Tesla and a non-Tesla charger (which are very widespread here in Europe), unless your charger has a button to stop the charging, you need to open the driver's door, get in, and press the right button on the screen before getting out, walking around the car (if you're in the UK), unplugging, walking around the car, and then getting back in again. I tired of this on about my third day. :)

Anyway, in case it helps anyone in a similar situation, if you happen to have an Apple Watch, spending a few quid on the 'Watch for Tesla' app was well worthwhile for me: I can now open the port to plug in, or unlock it to unplug, with just a couple of taps on my wrist.

With the S and X you can open the charger port by pressing the charger door. Understood this is also possible with the 3, press a corner. This means that at the same spot under the charger port you have a switch, button, that can be used now to unlock the plug. (When the car is unlocked)
Note: I have an X but did some Google research.