Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding 2 more power walls… I think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been leaning at buying an additional two power walls and my last bid came in at 22,500 and highest at 36,000. My first two I received were from sgip program and very thankful. My question is 22,500 a good bid?

Between psps, rolling black out, and medical baseline for my disabled son is the need. Just don’t want to be gouged.

I have been leaning at buying an additional two power walls and my last bid came in at 22,500 and highest at 36,000. My first two I received were from sgip program and very thankful. My question is 22,500 a good bid?

Between psps, rolling black out, and medical baseline for my disabled son is the need. Just don’t want to be gouged.
We went the Generac whole house generator route, one that runs in clean propane. Since we have a 500 gal tank on the property anyway, it was very inexpensive to install the Generac. Unit cost $2500. My son is diabetic, so we needed to ensure we could keep his insulin cool. That was 13 years ago. Still going strong.

my first two powerwalls (which i also got via SGIP) were only $26,400, so $36,000 to add two additional when most of the extra stuff (gateway / new loads panel / etc) are already there seems absolutely insane. to be honest, even $22k seems nuts but it's at least a little more reasonable.

Given that the powerwalls themselves are likely 7k or 7.5k each, and the rest is labor, it seems like a lot to me. With that being said, that is about the going rate I was being quoted in 2019 from non tesla sources.. Tesla was 18,245, installed, with tax and everything, pre any tax credit, in 2019.

Tesla wont install just powerwalls now though, so I dont believe they are an option, and you are being charged a premium. I would definitely look at what adding even a 4k k system from tesla along with those 2 panels would be. Probably similar to not much more.

Thank you everyone for the help. The bids seem high and looking lead times for additional panels through Tesla is greater than 8 months in so cal.

The frustrating part is here we all are in 2022 and do not have reliable electricity. 20 years ago I’d never think we would need to back up our homes.

Maybe adding a generator? is a safer option in case there is no sun for long periods of time? I agree that pricing outside of Tesla will always be more (usually $25k-$30k for an intial 2 battery install) so there is sticker shock among a lot of folks, but that's what regular people have been paying for 2 batteries for a while when going with anyone else not named Tesla.

Your best bet is just get a ton of quotes and if everyone is quoting more or less the same, that's probably the market price. I assume all installers have an unlimited amount of work currently. At least hooking up 2 more Tesla PWs is probably an easier job. Permits might be a pain though if you're forced to put them outside (and you don't want them outside).