Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding 2nd solar array, does Tesla install additional meter (NGOM)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the beginning process of installing a second solar array to our existing system. First system is under NEM 1, installed in 2011. According to PG&E I have 2 options, move both systems to NEM 2.0 and keep my original grandfather date. This is not ideal, since I only have 10 years left. Second option is to install a Net Generation Output Meter keeping the first system on NEM 1, second system goes to NEM 2 with new grandfather date. I prefer the 2nd option, but have received mixed information from Tesla. I called PG&E, and they were also no help at all, other then sending me to an order form to have a meter installed. I spoke with two different people at Tesla, one said yes, they take care of all that, another said I had to coordinate with PG&E. PG&E would not give me any pricing on installing a meter, and kept referring to it as an EV meter even after I explained what I was doing. Hoping someone here has gone through a similar process and can give me some pointers. Both systems are PV only, no Powerwalls or batteries etc.

Thanks for any input,
Brian

I am in the beginning process of installing a second solar array to our existing system. First system is under NEM 1, installed in 2011. According to PG&E I have 2 options, move both systems to NEM 2.0 and keep my original grandfather date. This is not ideal, since I only have 10 years left. Second option is to install a Net Generation Output Meter keeping the first system on NEM 1, second system goes to NEM 2 with new grandfather date. I prefer the 2nd option, but have received mixed information from Tesla. I called PG&E, and they were also no help at all, other then sending me to an order form to have a meter installed. I spoke with two different people at Tesla, one said yes, they take care of all that, another said I had to coordinate with PG&E. PG&E would not give me any pricing on installing a meter, and kept referring to it as an EV meter even after I explained what I was doing. Hoping someone here has gone through a similar process and can give me some pointers. Both systems are PV only, no Powerwalls or batteries etc.

Thanks for any input,
Brian
I would just go to NEM2. And since who knows what will happen in the future, I would not assume NEM2, or even NEM1 will stick around to the end of the 20 year dates

Issue is that you lose the 20 years grandfathering on the new unit.
Yes... I could not get a straight answer from anyone so decided to forget about the NGOM. PG&E directed me to create some sort of request... The fine print on the request mentioned being charged for even evaluating the situation. I can't remember for sure, but I thought I found some pricing that mentioned $5000 for the NGOM installation. I have 10 years left on my grandfathering, and not sure I will be in the same house that long. So ultimately was not worth the time to push the issue.

Yes... I could not get a straight answer from anyone so decided to forget about the NGOM. PG&E directed me to create some sort of request... The fine print on the request mentioned being charged for even evaluating the situation. I can't remember for sure, but I thought I found some pricing that mentioned $5000 for the NGOM installation. I have 10 years left on my grandfathering, and not sure I will be in the same house that long. So ultimately was not worth the time to push the issue.
what did you ultimately do? I am in the same situation now. PGE is saying the new NGOM is between $1800-$6000 but wont give me a quote unless we start a work order which requires a $1500 deposit. System 1 is from 2011 3.4kw, new system is 13.5kw. same exact options as you got; switch both to NEM2 and keep 2011 grandfather date or pay for new NGOM on new system. ug...

what did you ultimately do? I am in the same situation now. PGE is saying the new NGOM is between $1800-$6000 but wont give me a quote unless we start a work order which requires a $1500 deposit. System 1 is from 2011 3.4kw, new system is 13.5kw. same exact options as you got; switch both to NEM2 and keep 2011 grandfather date or pay for new NGOM on new system. ug...
Nothing wrong with NEM2

what? $1800 to $6K for NGOM? I had to install NGOM, but I don't think it was anywhere near that and I'm in EDH too. Let me see if it is itemized on my bill

I ended up not doing the NGOM... My thinking was that I had about 10 years left of grandfathering, and have no idea if I will still be in this home that long. Now that CPUC is planning to reduce grandfathering, and the wacky fees they want to impose, $5k does not sound too bad for the meter and the fresh 15 years on the new system. I think I would be more worried if I could get it all installed before NEM 3 takes effect.