Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger at family destination?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I haven't seen this discussed in my travels. I visit my parents a lot, especially with recent health issues. I currently use a NEMA 14-30 and a 30' Camco extension cord and have to go through gyrations each time to unplug the dryer, route things through the window, roll up the heavy cord etc. Its working fine and has for years but its a pain. Im thinking about paying for them to get a charger at their place. They have a farm and get a lot of visitors. Whats the right kind of charger to put there (outside)?

While I could do a basic NEMA 14-50, is that friendly to other EVs? Should I do some kind of third party J1172 type or what? The 14-30 is a little too slow for my usual needs so I'd like to put something faster in.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Thanks, I was looking for a recommendation (with experience preferably). Other comments like "search amazon or google" aren't too helpful. I'll look at Clippercreek.

I think that the ClipperCreek HCS-60 is the most cost effective J1772 that does not need a shutoff within sight (60 Amp or less breaker threshold). It is $899, is a standard J1772, will give a dual charger Tesla 48 Amps and a single charger Tesla 40 Amps, all good charging rates for the price.

I would install the 14-50 and put that plug on whatever charger you choose. I did not notice if you have dual chargers. If you do and charge time is an issue you want to get a more powerful charger.
I have a GE Wattstation which delivers 30 amps or about 20 mph to the Tesla through the J1772 adapter. It has a 6-50 plug and I happen to be one of the last people to buy the adapter before Tesla discontinued them. So I use the UMC at 40 amps to charge when I want a faster charge. I also use the Wattstation for my Leaf.
I would think a more powerful Clipper Creek with a plug would be a versatile choice.

I would install the 14-50 and put that plug on whatever charger you choose. I did not notice if you have dual chargers. If you do and charge time is an issue you want to get a more powerful charger.
I have a GE Wattstation which delivers 30 amps or about 20 mph to the Tesla through the J1772 adapter. It has a 6-50 plug and I happen to be one of the last people to buy the adapter before Tesla discontinued them. So I use the UMC at 40 amps to charge when I want a faster charge. I also use the Wattstation for my Leaf.
I would think a more powerful Clipper Creek with a plug would be a versatile choice.

Good thoughts. I looked that the clipper creek and its $800. A NEMA 14-50 may not be as friendly to other EV folks that may happen along but it would be a lot cheaper.

I got the HCS-40 from Clipper Creek. It's $565 and is primarily for the Leaf, but it's also a good backup for the Model S. I normally charge at 33 amps from the 14-50, so not a problem. (The 7 or 8 amps difference isn't going to make a whole lot of charging time difference--it's still overnight).