Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger into an AirBnB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could add a 14-50 outlet in a box with a lock and ask people to bring their connector. It should cover all brands.

Personally, I'd consider the extra $$ for a WC or a J1772 potentially in a locked box or a locked cutoff. Only reason is because the plug into the car is more robust. A 14-50 outlet can wear out with frequent unplugging (make sure to get an industrial one) and in many places code requires a GFCI breaker which may be subject to nuisance trips.
I disagree completely w/the bolded part. Many EVs do NOT ship with NEMA 14-50 EVSEs and many EV/PHEV drivers do not have them, esp. a portable one. Yes, that's changed a bit (e.g. '18+ Leafs can come with an L1/L2 EVSE that supports 5-15 and 14-50 but that's not standard). I replied on this at Why ChargePoint is Terrible.

I've been driving a '13 Leaf since July 2013 and now have a '19 Bolt, as well. The 1st was my primary car until Feb 2019 where I now alternate. I do not have anything that can plug into that. Neither came with anything beyond a NEMA 5-15 L1 EVSE. And, no, I almost never charge at home. Virtually all of it is free juice from L2 J1772 EVSEs at work.

If you took a survey of non-Tesla EV/PHEV drivers and asked them, do they have something portable that they can plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet? Some will have something permanently mounted, some can dismount them semi-easily, some will have something else (different outlet or hardwired), and many will be confused or give the wrong answer (e.g. yes then they actually don't).

(There's no NEMA 14-50 outlet at my house, which I do not own and will probably have to move out of within the next year or two.)

I don't have time to rehash all the reasons why as I'm getting on a plane in under 8 hours from now but see my post at Why ChargePoint is Terrible and the replies.

If you want the most universal connector for all mass market highway legal consumer EVs/PHEVS in the US sold since Dec 2010, you should install a J1772 L2 EVSE, preferably with at least 32 amp max output. ALL of them can use it, including Teslas w/their free J1772 adapter.

If you want be more helpful to Tesla-powered vehicles, install a higher amperage EVSE, anywhere from 40 to 80 amps. However, a quality >32 amp J1772 EVSE will tend to cost more than the Silver Wall Connector which can handle up to 80 amp max output on a 100 amp circuit.

Sure, if you install NEMA 14-50, that'll cover folks w/Tesla mobile connectors but Tesla doesn't even include the 14-50 adapter any longer. (Mobile Connector) It's optional. Tesla drivers where their vehicle came w/a NEMA 14-50 adapter and who have not owned/leased other EVs before, seem to have a skewed perception about NEMA 14-50 vs J1772.

For those driving Teslas in CA, seriously, how many of you actually carry your mobile connector all the time and use it while on the go? I suspect the % of actual usage is very low out of all your trips.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. For maximum flexibility one should install something like this -
40A Level 2 EVSE HCS-50 | ClipperCreek

For an additional $78 you can have a key installed on the side.

It's also a pile of money for unknown return.

I didn't realize that the bolt didn't have a 14-50 adaptor? I just started looking at those for a kids car (not many used I can find yet).

I feel carrying a UMC for a trip like this would be reasonable. It is a planned activity and not just out and about.

A 14-50 could always be replaced with a J1772 unit at a later date if desired.

I disagree completely w/the bolded part. Many EVs do NOT ship with NEMA 14-50 EVSEs and many EV/PHEV drivers do not have them, esp. a portable one. Yes, that's changed a bit (e.g. '18+ Leafs can come with an L1/L2 EVSE that supports 5-15 and 14-50 but that's not standard). I replied on this at Why ChargePoint is Terrible.

If you want the most universal connector for all mass market highway legal consumer EVs/PHEVS in the US sold since Dec 2010, you should install a J1772 L2 EVSE, preferably with at least 32 amp max output. ALL of them can use it, including Teslas w/their free J1772 adapter.

Thank I will look into this as well.

Agree completely with @cwerdna. There are still very few models of electric cars that come with cords that can plug into a 14-50 outlet. If you want to offer it as an amenity, you really do need to put in some model of J1772 handled charging station. Every electric car sold in North America has the charging inlet that can take that.

Reactions: cwerdna
Agree completely with @cwerdna. There are still very few models of electric cars that come with cords that can plug into a 14-50 outlet. If you want to offer it as an amenity, you really do need to put in some model of J1772 handled charging station. Every electric car sold in North America has the charging inlet that can take that.

And that is with a 240 line? Meeting with electrician tomorrow.

Do you plan to instal the plug inside a garage or outside in a public area?

I am using a box similar to the following (see below) where I can keep my charger locked so I don't need to removed it when I'm not there.

61C1Yj0RIjL._SL1200_.jpg

Ummmmmm WHY? The cable is still outside so it could still be used. Unless you're worried about someone stealing the charger I'd never put that gaudy box over it :/

Yes, and can be gotten for 3-500 bucks... it's more expensive then a 14-50 but that's your call.
And you know what's even cheaper than a 14-50 outlet? Leaving bare wiring ends where people can attach whatever outlet they want--truly universal. :rolleyes:

The point is to offer a commonly usable amenity to guests. And with almost any other electric car that isn't a Tesla, they will not be able to use 14-50 outlet, but they will be able to use a J1772 station.

And you know what's even cheaper than a 14-50 outlet? Leaving bare wiring ends where people can attach whatever outlet they want--truly universal. :rolleyes:

The point is to offer a commonly usable amenity to guests. And with almost any other electric car that isn't a Tesla, they will not be able to use 14-50 outlet, but they will be able to use a J1772 station.
OK?

Sounds like J1772 is what is needed and that is a station instead of simply a plug. So no other cars use a 14-50 plug?

And the J1772 is a box with the cables also attached to it?

I'd rather simply have a plug- and not an entire box with cables- but there is nothing like that- that would work for all cars? A simple 220 or 240 line with some sort of universal plug?

Last edited:
Sounds like J1772 is what is needed and that is a station instead of simply a plug. So no other cars use a 14-50 plug?
For many years it used to be only Teslas that had a charging cord that could plug into a 14-50 outlet. Then, people loved correcting me that starting with the 2018 model year, the more fancy trim version of the Nissan Leaf does also include that. But I think that is still the only other one. The charging ports of all of the cars are made for a J1772 handle, so they don't even need to bring any cord of their own.
And the J1772 is a box with the cables also attached to it?
Yes, it has the cord and handle attached.
I'd rather simply have a plug- and not an entire box with cables- but there is nothing like that- that would work for all cars? A simple 220 or 240 line with some sort of universal plug?
I do get the desire to have something that is entirely simple and no repair/maintenance without cords that could get damaged for a rental property that is very far from where you live. But no--there is no universal higher power outlet type that all electric cars can plug into. A standard 120V wall outlet like all houses have inside every room (NEMA 5-15) is universal, but that can only refill about 40 miles in 10 hours overnight, so that would hardly be worth advertising as "electric car charging".

*Edit* Before someone tries to interrupt to "correct" me, of course there are 3rd party devices that are mobile charge cords with various kinds of plugs that people could buy, but they don't come included with the cars, and most EV owners wouldn't have sought one out to buy one.

Reactions: MikeR55
Just met with my electrician, one of my cabins he can do it for $250 total for a 1450. The other one because it's not near the box is $1,500 total. I think I'm just going to try as a test the 1450 since it's so cheap and see how that works for people. Hopefully most Tesla's have that, and as of now I don't think there's a lot of other electric cars coming up here that I see but Tesla like everywhere else certainly seems to be the go-to electric car so I think that'll cover most people

Just met with my electrician, one of my cabins he can do it for $250 total for a 1450. The other one because it's not near the box is $1,500 total. I think I'm just going to try as a test the 1450 since it's so cheap and see how that works for people. Hopefully most Tesla's have that, and as of now I don't think there's a lot of other electric cars coming up here that I see but Tesla like everywhere else certainly seems to be the go-to electric car so I think that'll cover most people
Tesla was shipping a NEMA 14-50 (along w/5-15) with all their US S, X and 3 for years (since the beginning of the S, AFAIK) until sometime earlier this year.

You can see that Mobile Connector omits NEMA 14-50 as standard now whereas an earlier snapshot at Mobile Connector includes it. From Mobile Connector and Mobile Connector, it looks like it stopped sometime after March 30 and before April 24th.