Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger into an AirBnB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to add a charger into at least one of my cabins in Big Bear, Ca. so renters can use it as there are NO chargers nearby and I just ordered my Tesla 3 LR AWD!

What is the best charger to add? Just get a 240 or 220 line (with a lock box) that people can plug into or do I need an actual charging station?

I'd like this to be for Teslas as well as other electric car brands.

Reactions: Big Earl
We just added a Nema 14-50 and the Rv plug to ours instead. This way people can bring their own level 2 and I can add a lock to it when we are away.

So basically just the wall receptacle that people plug into? Like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.54.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.54.25 PM.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 108
You could add a 14-50 outlet in a box with a lock and ask people to bring their connector. It should cover all brands.

Personally, I'd consider the extra $$ for a WC or a J1772 potentially in a locked box or a locked cutoff. Only reason is because the plug into the car is more robust. A 14-50 outlet can wear out with frequent unplugging (make sure to get an industrial one) and in many places code requires a GFCI breaker which may be subject to nuisance trips.

But, a 14-50 would encourage me to rent a place and it may not be worth the extra $$.

Reactions: NoMoGas and MikeR55
This completely depends on who you are trying to attract. If you want "higher end" Tesla clients, go with the HPWC but otherwise just do what's been stated, the 50 AMP 14-50 RV hookup. It doubles as a RV hookup :p and lets most EV's, Tesla included, charge.

REMEMBER TO ADD TO PLUGSHARE as a feature for renters... you'll get a few folks who will look for chargers before they book.

Reactions: GOVA
I'm afraid if I add to plugshare- people who are not renting will show up and try to charge.
You just leave instructions but truth be told, I haven't seen that be much of an issue. I have multiple properties, all on plugshare and Ive been asked to plug in exactly 1 time by a non renter. Only the desperate or over-nighters want our Level 2 charging :p But it's totally up to you.

Reactions: MikeR55
Great. Yes I was going to have it locked with a combo code. How can I do an inside cutoff? So I can cut it off from an app?
From an app? don't think you can yet but just a breaker box would do it. Here's my thing, how much money are ya going to spend so someone doesnt take 10 bucks worth of juice? Big Bear could be different but most travelers will pre-plan... probably easier to put a lock on it but IMHO its a solution looking for a problem.

Reactions: brkaus
Well the problem isn't a non renter taking $10 worth- it's a non renter pulling up into a place where there are renters and bothering them. Especially as there is ZERO place to charge a car in BB.
I totally understand. Might just have to see if it becomes an issue. Locking it wont change someone bothering your renter... but if its clear on PS you SHOULD be OK.

The NEMA 14-50 covers most everything. But just an external 120V plug goes a really long way at solving problems. If renters will stay for longer, like a week, then faster charging isn't that big of a deal. But weekenders would need the faster charging.

The NEMA 14-50 is used for campgrounds and there are many outside boxes that include the NEMA 14-50, the TT plug and the 5-15 plugs. If you want something a little more EV specific, then there a number of J-1772 units available.

• Helpful
Reactions: Danny Brown