Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger to my 100 amp panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How to they come up with 8000 Area Wattage??? Absolutely insane!!! And that's with no electric range???, so is 6000 for HVAC, although not as insane
9600 watts is also off assuming you use 32AMP mobile Charger, that's 7680

I looked at my history on hydro website for a "area" peak wattage used in my house (4 bedroom 2600sf house with electric range), maximum I ever got was 4300 (that's likely dryer and range in use at same time), I run 7800-7900 when charging overnight (32amp)

Looking back at my history from my previous house, I recently moved, so in my previous house, highest KW usage for a month was 1596kw (July 2018). I had 200 AMP service in that house

That's a 16x 34 inground pool, 3.5ton AC, 2-pump Hot Tub, Dryer, 300sf house, well water sump, sump pump etc... and a Tesla Model 3 approx 200km/month

I would agree that 200AMP is much safer for this house, but I doubt that I even ever came close to 80AMP peak load.

I'm not an electrician but work in the industry, consulted the smartest man I know who owns his own Electrical contracting company, he's a Master Electrician and P.Eng, confirmed my theory that 100AMP is perfectly OK for my current situation... building code and ESA are over-zealous

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have contacted a number of installers both Tesla certified and non. Imho the Tesla certified installers seem to have more knowledge in regards to both the installation of EV equipment and also about the cars themselves. Tesla standards for installation are higher than Ontario code requirement from what I am told. In regards to cost, I would budget minimum $500 assuming you're panel is in your garage. For any other scenario, you would be best to get an estimate from a few electricians. I did finally settle on one particular tesla certified electrician but I do not want to post their information here on the forums as I'm unsure if it's allowed. Feel free to PM me if you want his contact info.

I'm not sure what kind of car you but the HPWC will give you the max charge rate at 48 amps. The 14-50 will only allow 32 amps. if you have a 200 amp panel and you have a model 3 with extended range battery, going with the HPWC is a no brainer. Model 33 standard range and 14-50 is all you really need.

Does the Model 3 in Canada come with NEMA 14-50 adapter with the UMC by default? Thanks.

I had an electrician put in a 40-amp breaker and NEMA 15-50 (Is that the right number?) stove plug in my garage. Quite a number of people in my neighbourhood have stoves in their garage (maybe so the house doesn't smell like curry? "Spice Kitchens", a second ventilated kitchen off the main one, seem to be a thing here too now. And in case someone thinks this is insults, my neighbour does this sort of cooking a lot and I love the smell of Asian cooking.) So do you need an inspection if you are putting in stove plug or welder, not an EV charger?

So we have 100AMP service and a NEMA15-50 plug on a 40AMP breaker. We use the charger that came with the Model 3 and the NEMA adapter bit. It uses 32A of the 40A circuit - apparently, the correct amount recommended for continuous high current. At 32A we get 46 or 47km/hr charge. We schedule charging for 1AM every night. Charge to 80% 400km. Worst we've done is drain to the mid-100's on the battery, so 250km charge - 5 hours or so - needed. There's no peak metering here, but pretty much always the dishwasher or dryer is done by 1AM.

I don't think we'll ever have a second Tesla; but if so, then I guess we'd buy two dedicated chargers and link them, share the 40-AMP service, unless we won the lottery. Start charging earlier. You can charge a lot of Tesla between 10PM and 8AM

Yes, my 3 was ordered July and delivered November last year. It includes the portable charger with 20 feet or so cable, and adapters for 110v (NEMA 5-15 standard 3 prong) and the trailer/RV TT30 with the angled prongs and ground pin, and the one we use, the same as our stove, NEMA 15-50 three vertical prongs and a rounded ground pin. Oh, and there's also a 1772 to Tesla adapter piece.

I see now in the Tesla store they sell a wide variety of adapter pieces for the portable charger. Probably rather than supply adapters people might never use, you pick what you want for a whole $35US.

Diagram here of assorted NEMA plugs
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

Yes, my 3 was ordered July and delivered November last year. It includes the portable charger with 20 feet or so cable, and adapters for 110v (NEMA 5-15 standard 3 prong) and the trailer/RV TT30 with the angled prongs and ground pin, and the one we use, the same as our stove, NEMA 15-50 three vertical prongs and a rounded ground pin. Oh, and there's also a 1772 to Tesla adapter piece.

I see now in the Tesla store they sell a wide variety of adapter pieces for the portable charger. Probably rather than supply adapters people might never use, you pick what you want for a whole $35US.

Diagram here of assorted NEMA plugs
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

They're 35USD each ;)

Hey Toronto area folks.....

The Ontario Tesla Owner's Club's guest speaker for Tuesday May 7 is John Calabrese, the Technical Advisor for Ontario Central Region of the Electrical Safety Authority. He's going to talk about the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code as it applies to car charging. We had our original guest speaker cancel. Upon reading many of the posts, here, I thought it might be a good idea to approach ESA, and they responded positively.

He's going to talk about what is expected now for an installation of an EVSE, or receptacle, what equipment will be required or may assist you, and what may be coming up in the future.

If you have questions for him - bring them.

It's at Dave and Buster's in Vaughan, Tuesday May 7, 6:30 - 7:00 mixer and new owner Q&A, 7:00 dinner
There is a $20.00 fee for members (to pay for room and food). Cash bar
Guests are allowed ($20.00 fee still applies) - if you wish to check this out - PM me for an RSVP form

Hey Toronto area folks.....

The Ontario Tesla Owner's Club's guest speaker for Tuesday May 7 is John Calabrese, the Technical Advisor for Ontario Central Region of the Electrical Safety Authority. He's going to talk about the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code as it applies to car charging. We had our original guest speaker cancel. Upon reading many of the posts, here, I thought it might be a good idea to approach ESA, and they responded positively.

He's going to talk about what is expected now for an installation of an EVSE, or receptacle, what equipment will be required or may assist you, and what may be coming up in the future.

If you have questions for him - bring them.

It's at Dave and Buster's in Vaughan, Tuesday May 7, 6:30 - 7:00 mixer and new owner Q&A, 7:00 dinner
There is a $20.00 fee for members (to pay for room and food). Cash bar
Guests are allowed ($20.00 fee still applies) - if you wish to check this out - PM me for an RSVP form

My wife and I are members, unfortunately unable to make it to tomorrow's club meeting
Would a soft copy of the presentation be saved somewhere that we can access?
Would love to see the ESA info that will be shared

If he has a presentation and/or handout, we can include it in the newsletter or website.
Well.....no handout, and the presentation included a few slides from the CEC training for the inspectors, and a bunch of pictures (like the new 16 MWH Tesla storage battery in Newmarket - Surprise!). A neat presentation, with tons of questions.

@TechnoBabble - He did address the 100 amp panel and EVSE installation
A load calculation is required - but - as more often than not, it would require a new service, there are two other options:
  • The use of an EVEMS, Electric Vehicle Energy Management system, a few examples were shown (this has been suggested in this thread)
  • The use of a 12 month consumption history. This is now available from ALL Ontario utilities, and it shows an average hourly use, per month, by the hour. ESA will take the largest hourly number, add 25% and see if it does not exceed 80% of the panel rating. He did say that this should allow a significant amount of people to go without upgrading their service.
Inspectors IN ONTARIO will begin to enforce the CEC 2018 on May 16 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
Well.....no handout, and the presentation included a few slides from the CEC training for the inspectors, and a bunch of pictures (like the new 16 MWH Tesla storage battery in Newmarket - Surprise!). A neat presentation, with tons of questions.

@TechnoBabble - He did address the 100 amp panel and EVSE installation
A load calculation is required - but - as more often than not, it would require a new service, there are two other options:
  • The use of an EVEMS, Electric Vehicle Energy Management system, a few examples were shown (this has been suggested in this thread)
  • The use of a 12 month consumption history. This is now available from ALL Ontario utilities, and it shows an average hourly use, per month, by the hour. ESA will take the largest hourly number, add 25% and see if it does not exceed 80% of the panel rating. He did say that this should allow a significant amount of people to go without upgrading their service.
Inspectors IN ONTARIO will begin to enforce the CEC 2018 on May 16 2019.
Just wanted to note that I had my ESA review of my installation today in Ottawa.

I have a three-storey townhouse, a 100 amp panel, and installed a 40 amp breaker to a new 14-50 the inoutlet.Did the install work myself since the panel is in the garage.

I showed the reviewer my maximum annual hourly usage (with the 1.25 buffer) and he said no problem at all. He only asked that I put a label near the outlet to say the 14-50 outlet is connected to a 40 amp breaker.