Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a second Powerwall 2 after the fact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally getting my solar with single Powerwall 2 installed tomorrow. Over the last several months while I have waited patiently, along with everyone else, to get my system; I have been thinking that I should have gone with a two Powerwall installation to begin with. (My limited thinking was to go with a simple backup solution and, more importantly, have the ability to used my solar panels when the sun was out and the grid was down.)

Rather than make a change at this late date (permitting, etc.), has anyone out there added an additional Powerwall after the fact? If so, is it as simple as I seem to think it might be? I don't plan to change from powering the secondary panel and go whole house, just want to increase coverage time for outages.

Cheers,
James

Mention to your installers when they come that you may want to do an additional PW in the future. We will be getting two and may want to add a third. When talking to Tesla they said they always think it’s a possibility so kind of plan for that but all the same I would bring it up when they come out. Always easier, cheaper to plan for expansion before the fact.

We just stopped tonight by a neighbors install from Friday. He had two PWs installed outside stacked. He was telling us they told him he could add a third stacked if he needed and he showed my husband how the extra conduit connections would run. Seemed like a nice product. Can’t wait for ours. Wish we started this earlier.

Let us know how the install goes.