Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a second user.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on exactly what you are after.

The "easiest" and most full featured thing to do is to simply log into the tesla app on her phone with your existing credentials for the app that currently work on your phone.

Pros:

1. No special setup needed
2. Her phone / tesla app will have access to every feature that you currently have in the tesla app, including ordering upgrades and roadside assistance.

Cons:

1. Sharing passwords on an account is generally frowned upon by most people, regardless of the relationship you have with someone. Its a "bad practice" from an IT security perspective.

The other way to do this is to log into the tesla website (website, not app), and make your wife an additional driver on your account. Login to your account on the website, click MANAGE under your car, then click CAR ACCESS, then ADD DRIVER. Add your wife there (first name / last name / email address. Its helpful if she already created a tesla account with that email address on the tesla website.

Obviously use the same email address of her already created tesla account (that has no car in it) or if you choose to have her create the tesla account later, make sure she uses the same email address.

Benefit of this is, she has her own tesla account, no sharing passwords. The downside of this is, her account will not have "buy upgrades" in the tesla app (usually not a big deal) nor will it have a link for "roadside assistance" in the app. There is currently (or wasnt 2 months ago, the last time I checked) a way to get roadside assistance link added to a secondary driver added by you.

She will still be able to CALL tesla and request service, etc, but will not be able to submit a roadside assistance request via the app. She would have to call tesla from within the car, and I am currently not sure where that option is (but havent looked). It used to be under the tesla "T".

To piggyback onto this thread. Is there a way for the second user to automatically select their Bluetooth device for streaming?

I want my profile to select my mobile phone for Bluetooth streaming for music. I want my wife’s profile to select her phone. Is this possible?

To piggyback onto this thread. Is there a way for the second user to automatically select their Bluetooth device for streaming?

I want my profile to select my mobile phone for Bluetooth streaming for music. I want my wife’s profile to select her phone. Is this possible?

Not currently that I am aware of. You can have a priority bluetooth device (which is somewhat new, actually), but it doesnt associate a connection with a profile.

OK, I didn't think so. Seems like they should do this. Often times, my wife and I are both in the car and I'd love to make the mobile device connected associated with the driver profile.

the bluetooth will search for primary phone. If it is not there, it will move to next (your wife’s) so it will be associated automatically when she is driving. That doesn’t work when you are both in the car since you will have your phone with you.
My suggestion would be to hit the voice command and report bug, and describe the issue. If enough people do that, Tesla will move it up the priority list (maybe )

the bluetooth will search for primary phone. If it is not there, it will move to next (your wife’s) so it will be associated automatically when she is driving. That doesn’t work when you are both in the car since you will have your phone with you.
My suggestion would be to hit the voice command and report bug, and describe the issue. If enough people do that, Tesla will move it up the priority list (maybe )

No, it wont (unfortunately), because those bug reports dont go anywhere at all. The only thing those are used for, is for you to tell a tesla service center, when taking your car into service, "I had XYZ problem and did a bug report when it happened".

All it does (basically) is insert a pointer into the cars local log file. It doesnt actually "send" it anywhere, it stays local to the car and is only used for people looking through the cars local log file to look for error codes etc.

They dont tell you that anywhere though, so its very common (and understandable) why people would think it goes somewhere.

No, it wont (unfortunately), because those bug reports dont go anywhere at all. The only thing those are used for, is for you to tell a tesla service center, when taking your car into service, "I had XYZ problem and did a bug report when it happened".

All it does (basically) is insert a pointer into the cars local log file. It doesnt actually "send" it anywhere, it stays local to the car and is only used for people looking through the cars local log file to look for error codes etc.

They dont tell you that anywhere though, so its very common (and understandable) why people would think it goes somewhere.

good to know. As you state, it doesn’t say that anywhere. I assume you learned through a SC experience?

good to know. As you state, it doesn’t say that anywhere. I assume you learned through a SC experience?

that, yes, and here as well. Its fairly well known here but its a tribal knowledge type thing. my own guess on why that is, is it benefits tesla to have people think those go somewhere even though they never say they do. The "benefit" is, people feel they are "contributing" and that doesnt hurt tesla at all (probably saves some SC visits in fact).

I certainly am not anti tesla, but am definitely a realist about some of the things they do.

But then how does it know which profile to load when you sit down? Doesn't it determine that by the phone connected?

I believe that, if you have a priority bluetooth device selected, when you unlock the car, the car will simply attempt to connect to that device if it is within range. If it is unable to connect to that device, then it will try one of the others that have been setup.

if you dont have any device setup as a priority device, and more than one device that is setup is present when you unlock the car, I "think" what happens is that it connects to the last one it connected to, but before they put in "priority device" it always seemed haphazard as to what actually happened with 2 devices present

My wife and I have separate smartphones (very common of course), and we both have our own tesla accounts instead of just sharing my tesla account on her phone (slightly less common). It used to seem hapazard whose phone it would connect to when we both got in the car, me on drivers side her on passenger. Now, it connects to my phone.

She drives my car so little (and we drive so little in general right now) that I dont know if she goes to drive my car AND i am not present, what the workflow looks like.

I logged on to my Tesla account and added my wife’s model Y as a third party user, also using her own email address and password. I am still able to see both cars within my App and she is only able to see the model Y only on her App. If you add the 2nd car this way instead of having 2 separate accounts, you are able to share the free referral miles on both cars.

Fred

The second user can't see the referral miles... unless they log in with your info. But I was told the referral miles attach to the car's VIN... which contradicts what you're saying. Interesting. Right now we have free supercharging for a year, so THAT should definitely be attached to the car's VIN. Once it expires, curious if any referral miles can be used by my wife, when her account doesn't show the 'treasure chest' with that.

The second user can't see the referral miles... unless they log in with your info. But I was told the referral miles attach to the car's VIN... which contradicts what you're saying. Interesting. Right now we have free supercharging for a year, so THAT should definitely be attached to the car's VIN. Once it expires, curious if any referral miles can be used by my wife, when her account doesn't show the 'treasure chest' with that.
Yes she can use the referral miles even though they don’t show in her app. They are linked to the cars vin. That vin is linked to your account.

We're in the middle of a long trip, and I think I have a solution to the driver's phone always being linked on BT: DO NOT set up a phone as having BT priority, or it'd connect to that phone when both are in range, whether it's the driver or not. If you don't set a priority phone, the driver's side BT sensor detects which phone's key to use (I know for a fact that happens), and since we linked our profiles to our phones, it automatically sets that profile. What I haven't checked is if undoing the BT priority (which I checked for my wife) links the driver's phone BT as well as the key, which only makes sense, but need to verify. I don't know how to check which phone is connected to BT, but will click on the BT icon and see if it's there.

Finally, I want to see if the car's Spotify can be linked to each profile, since I logged in, and it's always on my account. I logged in before we linked our profiles to our phones, so maybe that's why I never saw any options. Will log out, and see if that changes; it'd be great, so we don't have to stream Spotify. Getting the hang of this car pretty good by now, at 1K miles :).

Yes. IIRC (please correct me if wrong), each driver profile can separately select a "priority bluetooth device" which means the preferred phone for bluetooth audio streaming & phone calls when using that driver profile.

Since my wife almost never drives the Tesla and yet her phone may well be in range when I approach the car, I set her profile to no priority bluetooth device so it'll default to the last bluetooth device.

On our 2021 Model 3, the BT audio doesn't seem to automatically switch at all. I think it only connects to whatever was the last one connected. Since it's mainly for my wife, I set her as the priority device. But when she gets in, if I had used it previously, it doesn't switch to her - it just says no device. Same with me if I get in when she was the last driver.

I'm not sure if this is the way it is designed, or whether there is a fix; fortunately, it's easy to just press the BT icon at the top, and select the desired phone, but I might forget to do it. So...

Anyone know if there is a way to fix this? It doesn't seem to work the way anyone else has said it should.

Disable the 'priority' feature, and link each profile to each (key) phone and card, and problem solved. Whoever drives the car would be automatically connected, and its profile selected :). The 'keys' are in the security menu, if I'm not mistaken. When your profile is selected, click on the little head of your key and card, and your profile would be attached to them. Same for your wife. Hope this helps.