Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a tow package to a 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory tow hitch is a royal pain. The hitch receiver is so close to the trailer pin harness that its insanely difficult to attach three connections, let alone put a pin through to secure the hitch. There isn't enough space to do much of anything under there, so annoyed with Tesla designers on this one.

Reactions: tpoltron and SJC3
I bought one of those locks, but haven't had my hitch installed yet. I'm not sure if the lock has to go on the left or whether it can go on the right as well. Is there more space on the right side? The website hitch photo has a left-looking perspective, so I'm not sure...
There's more than enough space on the right (about 12"), the left side only has a couple of inches before you're pressing up against the trailer harness mount. Absolutely ridiculous design.

I bought one of those locks, but haven't had my hitch installed yet. I'm not sure if the lock has to go on the left or whether it can go on the right as well. Is there more space on the right side? The website hitch photo has a left-looking perspective, so I'm not sure...
I received my Curt hitch lock and installed it yesterday...Works great. Now if only they'd re-design the bumper to allow normal clearance to secure all of the trailer back-up hooks.

IMG_5631.jpg

i haven't tested it yet but the harness is there. i was able to plug it in. i bet once i plug in a trailer it will show im in tow mode.

anyone here who had tesla install a tow hitch? if so, do you show the additional tow functions even w/o attaching trailer?
I included the factory tow hitch with our order. I installed aftermarket tow hitches on previous vehicles, including removing bumper, but I was too paranoid to do it on the Y.

You can see the Trailer Mode option on the screen. I took the photo a moment ago with the Y parked in the garage and nothing attached to the hitch or power harness. Maybe Tesla just needs to flip a toggle for your VIN for Trailer Mode to appear.

E2902346-8E32-4516-82DD-491619A30726.jpeg

Last edited: