Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a tow package to a 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory tow hitch is a royal pain. The hitch receiver is so close to the trailer pin harness that its insanely difficult to attach three connections, let alone put a pin through to secure the hitch. There isn't enough space to do much of anything under there, so annoyed with Tesla designers on this one.
Even if you add a tube extender it won't help with the clearance? Something like this?
CURT Manufacturing 45791 2" Receiver Extender https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000BROATE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VV0870NS5DVVAR5TH4F4

Don’t forget to order an ungodly design hitch panel to save you the frustration of taking the stock panel off and on… either that or cut all the clips off the original, except for one on each side. 😉

The ungodly design panel was $40, but supposedly the oem panel is only $15 to replace… so perhaps may be best to experiment by cutting tabs off the original and seeing how you fair.

Reactions: Daekwan
Ordered mine in April this year, installed 7 days later.

I think a lot has to do with supply. I ordered a set of winter tires/wheels and it took 2 months to get them.

Another thing... I have an older MY (old 12V battery), I believe the newer Li Ion "12V"s need an adapter of some sort to get some of the electrical connections to the trailer working. It could be that they are waiting on that.

Reactions: dodukes
Ordered mine in April this year, installed 7 days later.

I think a lot has to do with supply. I ordered a set of winter tires/wheels and it took 2 months to get them.

Another thing... I have an older MY (old 12V battery), I believe the newer Li Ion "12V"s need an adapter of some sort to get some of the electrical connections to the trailer working. It could be that they are waiting on that.
ok thanks for the response. I just thought it would be a quick thing too. I have to pick up the car today or at least expected and I will ask again every time i ask i get told to wait for a notification. its very frustrating at this point i have figured out, dealing with tesla service lol

Don’t forget to order an ungodly design hitch panel to save you the frustration of taking the stock panel off and on… either that or cut all the clips off the original, except for one on each side. 😉

The ungodly design panel was $40, but supposedly the oem panel is only $15 to replace… so perhaps may be best to experiment by cutting tabs off the original and seeing how you fair.
There is a YouTube video showing you exactly how to modify it. Basically, you leave 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, something like that. I did it and it pops off and on easily, and stays put.

I got mine installed 2 weeks ago for carrying e-bikes that are too heavy to put on a roof rack. Overall the model Y is much quieter in the back with the tow hitch installed. I'm thinking maybe that having that additional metal bolted onto the frame is adding some support? I already put dynamite around the plastic storage tub to dampen all the rumble that come from that thing vibrating like a drum.

Attacked a Kuat piston rack today. No issues. Everything is rock solid. the hitch cover is ridiculously flimsy and will break over time if opening often. But there are 3rd party options. And plenty of 7 blade to 4 pin converters for the lighting on my bike rack. Overall this tow hitch is very nice and improves the roominess and ride just a bit (did not expect that ).

I got mine installed 2 weeks ago for carrying e-bikes that are too heavy to put on a roof rack. Overall the model Y is much quieter in the back with the tow hitch installed. I'm thinking maybe that having that additional metal bolted onto the frame is adding some support? I already put dynamite around the plastic storage tub to dampen all the rumble that come from that thing vibrating like a drum.

Attacked a Kuat piston rack today. No issues. Everything is rock solid. the hitch cover is ridiculously flimsy and will break over time if opening often. But there are 3rd party options. And plenty of 7 blade to 4 pin converters for the lighting on my bike rack. Overall this tow hitch is very nice and improves the roominess and ride just a bit (did not expect that ).
How much of a noise difference did you notice? Was that with or without the bikes on?

Did you install the hitch yourself?

How long between when you ordered the hitch and when you had it installed? I threw on a Draw-Tite hitch myself a few weeks ago, but am debating getting the official one to have the tow mode and 7-pin hookup.
Had the hitch installed at the Tesla service center. It took about 2 hours. From order to available was about 8 weeks. Note that there is no way to get notice of when it will be shipped to the service center. So once I setup an appointment and only a few days before they moved it a week as the hitch wasn't there. I would be great if we got some information to plan with (probably makes life easier for the service center also).

Hi, I am wondering if OEM Model Y Hitch here that has original wiring
will have somewhere to plug into to provide brake/turn lights in a Model Y that originally did NOT come with a hitch. or will i still have to run some wiring all the way to the battery in the front of the car? thank you! This would simplify installation greatly for me. Thank you very much

will have somewhere to plug into to provide brake/turn lights in a Model Y that originally did NOT come with a hitch. or will i still have to run some wiring all the way to the battery in the front of the car? thank you! This would simplify installation greatly for me. Thank you very much
My understanding is that the OEM tow package is identical to the hitch installed at the factory. So you'd have the wiring as well as the same infrastructure that the factory-installed hitch has, which is important. Some of the (non-OEM) aftermarket hitches replace the crash bar under the bumper with something that I suspect hasn't been crash-tested, like the OEM hitch. You can probably confirm when you order.

Edit: here is what is included: Model Y Tow Package | Tesla Support

Reactions: ZzzzZ

I'm pretty sure that it does. I've attached the instructions from the service manual. The hitch kit on the Tesla store only includes three part numbers - hitch bar, bolts, and the harness.

Mine was installed at the service center on Tuesday. It took them almost three hours.

Attachments

• Assembly - Trailer Hitch (Remove and Replace).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
Reactions: ZzzzZ