TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adding a wirelsss back up camera to a Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by MileHighMotoring, Dec 11, 2015.

1. MileHighMotoring

If you're desperate for a backup camera, something like this might be a better choice than tearing up the dash.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes! That is what I want on my 1.5 Roadster.
    So how do I get 12V power to a camera mounted on the rear license plate?

3. MileHighMotoring

I know many people wire them to the reverse lights so the camera powers on automatically when you go into reverse.

4. ecarfan

Thanks. I would like a rear view camera to be on whenever the car is on.
    In my S I leave the rear view camera image on at the top of the center display all the time.

5. MileHighMotoring

Ha, I tried that for awhile but it sort of freaked me out. Plus I use Nav + Slacker all the time so those use up both halves of the screen.

I suppose you may end up needing to run a wire to get constant 12v back there. Check on Elise forums, if there's a source there already they'd know for sure.

6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The Lotus wiring is totally different.

7. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I like this! I wonder how long it takes for the camera to power up. I don't want to sit there for 30s in reverse ;-). Isn't there a license plate light that's on when the headlights are on? I keep my headlights on all the time, so that might work.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Can't you guys tie into the trunk light/switch? That's constantly supplying a constant source of power and its right there in the drivers rear corner of the fender/trunk. Just tie in before the switch.

9. MileHighMotoring

#9 MileHighMotoring, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    So do I, so that would be a constant 12v source. Good thinking.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Just make sure to test all your states to ensure the power stays, such as key on, etc.

11. ecarfan

But how to run the power wire from that location to the rear view camera mounted on the license plate frame? Not keen on drilling a hole through the body.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#12 wiztecy, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    You shouldn't have to drill anything. You can fish a wire through the existing license plate light hole or through the rear tail-light, whichever you prefer.

I'm not a fan of backup camera's unless I'm trying to hook up a hitch to my truck. Even then I've got that dialed and know the perimeter of my car. But I can see why people like them for curbs and such. I just make sure I give ample space away from them. I just find these things to be more of a distraction. I also don't like tying in any more electronics into the Roadster than what was there from stock.

However a great use of these cameras, which having both a front & back would be ideal, is to constantly keep them on and record for a dashcam feature and possibly change their angle of view for ideal captures while driving. They way people don't pay attention and lack of proper driving skills these days, that feature can totally save lots of grief. Dashcams are great but they're kinda bulky, look odd, and just another accessory to tie into the 12v system. But if all the above were integrated into one clean package done right, well then, I may be convinced to move to the other side :)

13. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

They should start making dashcams that are also cellphones (or vice versa). Cellphones already come with both forward and rear cameras. A simple mount could be glued to the dash; the mount would have a pin that would activate 'dashcam' mode which would start both cameras. If needed you could plug in a charge cord after mounting the device on the dash. Likely you would remember to take it with you when you park the car since it is sitting right up there on the dash, and it is *your cellphone*.
    --