Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding additional panels/PW to my existing system - will need for PTO require me to turn off existing system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm adding 4.08kW + 2x PW to my existing 5.44kW system on Friday and am wondering if required PTO for the addition will force me to turn off my existing system production? I'm averaging just above 30kW per day and would hate to lose that production during any prolonged utility review by SCE.

Thanks!
bwb1

I'm adding 4.08kW + 2x PW to my existing 5.44kW system on Friday and am wondering if required PTO for the addition will force me to turn off my existing system production? I'm averaging just above 30kW per day and would hate to lose that production during any prolonged utility review by SCE.

Thanks!
bwb1
No. Adding solar requires you file for a new PTO, but you don't need to turn off your existing (or new) system while it is processed. You may not get monetary credit for the increased production until the new PTO is approved, but SCE is relatively quick at approving these changes.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Upvote 0
My experience with PG&E is no, you don't have to turn it off. Once you pass inspection you could arguably self-consume your additional production. Your net exports may be limited as @power.saver noted because the utility's model of your production capability is smaller than what you actually have.

I've been in situation for several years now because of some screw up between PG&E/Solar City/Tesla, the size of my PV system is incorrect in with PG&E. My attempts to fix it have failed so far (including buying more solar in hopes that will clean up the records). Anyway if I "sell" too much I don't credit for the excess. Fortunately I've moved into "self consumption" mode these days so in practice it is now a non-issue. The only consideration for fixing it is if PG&E wants more support during peak hours.

Reactions: GenSao and h2ofun
Upvote 0
Did Tesla agree to adding new panels to an existing system? They told me I couldn't, I had to put in a parallel system. I wanted to add 2 kw to mine, they said I had to put in a 2ndary system with a 4 kw minimum.
You will be hard pressed to find a major installer touching an existing system, particularly one with with strings vs micro inverters. In general, by the time you roll a crew out to an install the labor difference between 2 kW and 4 kW is approaching zero.

Upvote 0
You will be hard pressed to find a major installer touching an existing system, particularly one with with strings vs micro inverters. In general, by the time you roll a crew out to an install the labor difference between 2 kW and 4 kW is approaching zero.
oy, ok, thx.

I DIY'ed the solar on a quasi-ADU (well, fancy garage) complete with battery, was far far cheaper than Tesla but I didn't do a grid tie-in as that requires pulling permits. But labor was cheap, I work for beer...

Upvote 0