Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding additional solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 21 10 year old 210 solar panels on a 4000w inverter and I added 6 more 327 panels in 2016 on a 3000w inverter. I want to add another 6 panels and wonder if I can use micro inverters for the 6 new panels instead of buying and replacing one of the existing inverters.

As long as you have room in your load calcs to put an additional 20A double pole breaker in your panel, I don't see why you can't add those micros.

Edit: by load calcs I mean 20A more back-feed. I don't think you can use a smaller breaker than that, but I may be wrong.

I wonder if it would make more sense to replace the 10 year old Sunpower 4000w inverter with a larger one.
I would think replacing the 210W panels with 300+W panels and a new inverter would be easy if you could re-use the same racking.

I am seriously considering replacing my 9 year old and degraded 240W polysilicon panels with new ones, re-using the old Enphase Micro-inverters. The primary consideration is keeping the same panel frame size and 60 cell panel type so they drop in with no other changes.

I wonder if it would make more sense to replace the 10 year old Sunpower 4000w inverter with a larger one.

Good chance. For the cost of 6 micro inverters and the trunk cable and all the other ancillary stuff you'd need you're almost at the cost of a 7.6kW SMA inverter that can handle ~11kW of solar. How does your solar play with your Powerwalls off-grid? New Rule 21 inverters are able to adjust their output so they're not just on or off.