Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adding an app to the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet. Many of us have 3rd party app toolkit high on our list. Have been asking for it for years, so tesla must be aware. I'm not an avid librarian, so I don't know if tesla has ever indicated it was in plan. Anybody? Best you can do now is web app within constraints of browser.

I wonder why this hasn't happened yet, or I wonder if they are rethinking how to do this since stuff like CarPlay and Android Auto has come out since this was originally envisioned.
With the focus on Autopilot, Model X and the upcoming Model 3, I doubt they have resources (programmers) available. When you don't have enough programmers to write a "shuffle favourites" procedure, writing an SDK, or even providing a few APIs is not going to happen anytime soon.

I'd guess security and tech support. Last thing they need a bad press because of a security fault through an app, or people asking questions as to how to fix a problem. Also, they'd probably (sadly) be looking for setting up an "app store" like place where everything would have to get reviewed, etc. May be easier to improve the browser, get service workers support, let us bookmark and locally cache pages...

wk057 can add apps to his!
screen-cid-2015-12-19-07_56_27.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=104910&d=1450565890.png