Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding auto close charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been driving a 15' p85d loaner for a month and a half and I've realized the only thing my ap1 oct 14' p85+ is missing is the auto close charge port door. Does anyone know what would be involved with adding an auto close charge port door? Somehow my wife and I always find ourselves at the nearest stop sign from home running back and closing the charge port door. If I added the hardware, is there wiring already there and would my software know to use it?

I bought a auto closing door / light assembly but haven't pulled the original to check wiring. It will probably need the charge port itself, or at least the surround - the auto close has a rubber pad where the original has a big magnet. I'm expecting a charge port harness swap also, unless the release for the magnet just happens to be the same connector the auto door uses.

I've heard occasional mention that "Tesla changed the car so the door won't fit" but I'm not so sure about that, it's always vague hearsay and no photos of attempts or direct experience - and I don't put a lot of stock into that sort of talk as it's pretty much the default story about every retrofit before people show them being done around here. I did see someone post a screenshot of a Signature car's main screen showing the auto close button - implying a successful install - but no more info on that retrofit was given. We'll see.

Reactions: Blup85
Side by side with an automated door and the old magnet door, the issue is different mounting points for the screws, and different shapes of the overall mechanism behind the scenes - they just don't fit the same hole. The plugs look similar, I'm tempted to see if my car can recognize the new door, and if it opens and closes it when it's not attached then making a custom mount so it can be used in the car could be accomplished. I have a room full of 3D printers and I'm not afraid to frankenstein a mount for the electronics, and I think the issue that people are so vague about is just that these mounting screws are in slightly different places and that's it.

You will need a new wiring harness - there will be one for each side, two new mirrors (with motors) and the door switch. You will know the mirrors have motors if the car has the correct switch on the driver's door. Don't worry about the mirror color as the covers pop off and can be changed. I picked up mine from the "parts" thread when someone posted a note about a totaled car - selling as parts. Make sure that they do not cut the harness. They need to get to the ends and unplug it. If you are very confident in your skills, you can watch a Youtube video on how to take the door panels off and replace the harnesses and the switch on the driver's door. If you get all that done, here is where you will need cooperation from your local Tesla center. They will need to update the software to recognize the mirrors and add the functionality to the Center Display.

• Helpful
Reactions: djclint and nico180
I've done the mirrors myself too. It's fairly easy if you had previous experience working with cars or electronics. I did not change the harness though. Instead I cut the connectors and manually route two more wires to controller units. I haven't got the software to recognize folding mirrors yet though because my country don't have Tesla service. I may have to root the CID later. Let me know about the charging doors if you have tested. I'm ready too follow your moves on that.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to adding this feature soon. Will be in touch!

QUOTE="CLLACAB, post: 2998099, member: 30799"]You will need a new wiring harness - there will be one for each side, two new mirrors (with motors) and the door switch. You will know the mirrors have motors if the car has the correct switch on the driver's door. Don't worry about the mirror color as the covers pop off and can be changed. I picked up mine from the "parts" thread when someone posted a note about a totaled car - selling as parts. Make sure that they do not cut the harness. They need to get to the ends and unplug it. If you are very confident in your skills, you can watch a Youtube video on how to take the door panels off and replace the harnesses and the switch on the driver's door. If you get all that done, here is where you will need cooperation from your local Tesla center. They will need to update the software to recognize the mirrors and add the functionality to the Center Display.[/QUOTE]