Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Autopilot to Model 3 configure:EZ or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have taken plunge and ordered Model 3 rear wheel long range with Premium upgrades.
I decided to NOT order AUTOPILOT, and have a VIN assigned, delivery in 2-3 weeks.
Can I change my mind and ask Tesla to flip the autopilot switch and if so when?
Going back and forth on Saving 5K for autopilot or just saying what the hell......

Thanks Tom

This is verbatim from my ISA: "As far as adding enhanced autopilot, you can still do so prior to delivery and it will cost the original $5,000 as opposed to the $6,000 after the fact. It will not affect your delivery at all."

So my ISA is cool with it.. I'm tempted to add it but I'm still unsure of whether or not it will scale into the future with Level 4 Autonomy. Lot of skeptics say there's simply not enough GPU processing power to make that a reality so I'm kind of reluctant. I don't want to pay extra for something that can't become autonomous one day.

Yeah 5K is a lot of money
Great information thanks everyone.
Thanks that is good to know we can add it before shipping.
Level 4 would be great, I was going to get it for the stop and go traffic but honestly not a lot of that where I live (yet).

what came a few days ago? can you elaborate?

The 2018.10.4 update. Now the Autopilot handles even most poorly marked local roads like a champ. Plenty of YouTube videos available on the subject. Not available for M3 yet but you'll find discussion on the update on the Model S side of the forum. I would personally pay 5000$ for the updated Autopilot without blinking an eye but M3 isn't available in my country yet.

Last edited:
The Oregon EV credit was still being debated and the rules were not final yet when I took delivery of my Model 3. There was conflicting information, the most reliable of which came from the program administrator, stating that the price for the vehicle was MSRP as delivered (no more than $50k). As a result, I intentionally hedged my bets by not having EAP enabled from the factory, understanding that it would cost me $1k more, in order to save $2500.

At delivery (prior to signing anything) I asked if I could pay for EAP for $5k but not have it listed on the paperwork. I was told that the delivery paperwork must be consistent with what was delivered. So, I ended up paying $6k for EAP on the day of delivery. I was told that they could enabled prior to delivery, but they would have to update the paperwork.

The Oregon EV rebate rules (while still not final) are proposed to include vehicles with a BASE MSRP of < $50k, which means I should have included it before delivery. But, hindsight is always 20/20.

Hmm.. thats a convoluted and I am guessing very course way of estimating relative velocity and distance with very low precision compared to a radar?

Human driving is entirely based on it and we perform well in traffic as long as we are not drunk, in poor health or otherwise limited in our perception. So do we need to make computer based vision significantly more precise?

Reactions: fseir and erthquake
Human driving is entirely based on it and we perform well in traffic as long as we are not drunk, in poor health or otherwise limited in our perception. So do we need to make computer based vision significantly more precise?

Human driving isn't entirely based on apparent size. We have extremely advanced vision systems, way beyond anything Nvidia has cranked out, and we use all sorts of visual cues and tricks, including apparent size, temporal stereo/optical flow (ever watched a cat slide its head subtly side-to-side to get a really accurate range/size estimate?), actual stereo, reasoning about locations relative to the ground plane and our internal map of the world, using our understanding of the world to fill in occluded areas, plus who knows what else. We are badass visual reasoning machines optimized through hundreds of millions of years of evolution.

Also, how did my post from the 2018.10.4 thread end up quoted in this thread?

Reactions: MikeC
Glad to hear that it can be added after ordering and before delivery without the $1k penalty. I was fairly adamant about not getting EAP at this point, but now I very much like the ability of using it in heavy traffic situations so the family is safer during daily commutes, so I will probably spring for it now. Also, it gives me more peace of mind that the $5k is not going to be wasted since it now seems the AP computer can be upgraded in the 3.

The Oregon EV credit was still being debated and the rules were not final yet when I took delivery of my Model 3. There was conflicting information, the most reliable of which came from the program administrator, stating that the price for the vehicle was MSRP as delivered (no more than $50k). As a result, I intentionally hedged my bets by not having EAP enabled from the factory, understanding that it would cost me $1k more, in order to save $2500.

At delivery (prior to signing anything) I asked if I could pay for EAP for $5k but not have it listed on the paperwork. I was told that the delivery paperwork must be consistent with what was delivered. So, I ended up paying $6k for EAP on the day of delivery. I was told that they could enabled prior to delivery, but they would have to update the paperwork.

The Oregon EV rebate rules (while still not final) are proposed to include vehicles with a BASE MSRP of < $50k, which means I should have included it before delivery. But, hindsight is always 20/20.
I called them and confirmed and had it added right after I configured. Fingers crossed they find the rebate for us!

Human driving isn't entirely based on apparent size. We have extremely advanced vision systems, way beyond anything Nvidia has cranked out, and we use all sorts of visual cues and tricks, including apparent size, temporal stereo/optical flow (ever watched a cat slide its head subtly side-to-side to get a really accurate range/size estimate?), actual stereo, reasoning about locations relative to the ground plane and our internal map of the world, using our understanding of the world to fill in occluded areas, plus who knows what else. We are badass visual reasoning machines optimized through hundreds of millions of years of evolution.

Also, how did my post from the 2018.10.4 thread end up quoted in this thread?

I did not mean that human driving would be only based on apparentsize, far from it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't read the previous posts carefully enough.

I referred to emulation of human vision system in general. Nothing impossible there; just complicated and requires a sufficient amount of processing power. Possibly a novel type of processor as well (to even better emulate neural networks) but based on current developments I don't think that even that is required. Based on the most recent update on Autopilot, Tesla seems to be doing just fine even with traditional and rather modest hardware. Interesting to see what they manage to develop hardware-wise with Keller in the team.

We might be able to put this to rest because I believe that Tesla will demonstrate fully autonomous driving without Lidar pretty soon. In 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely ;)

One might argue that Tesla's approach still utilizes radar. However, at least the side views at corners and crossings is based just on monocular vision which I believe to be sufficiently accurate for driving that exceeds human safety. The front facing radar may increase the safety margin but is not required for "better than average human" level driving either.

Last edited:
If the AP is a software switch, then could Tesla lets us have a trial mode? Like software - 30 day free trial. $5,000 is a lot of money for something I don't think I need, and yet everyone is saying you gotta have it. I'd like to try before I buy, and I don't want to try for 10 mins down carefully marked roads with a Tesla representative.

If the AP is a software switch, then could Tesla lets us have a trial mode? Like software - 30 day free trial. $5,000 is a lot of money for something I don't think I need, and yet everyone is saying you gotta have it. I'd like to try before I buy, and I don't want to try for 10 mins down carefully marked roads with a Tesla representative.
It doesn't, and it's ridiculous it doesn't. They could have a chance of getting $5k (or $6k) by just flipping a switch and letting me give it a spin in my own car, but instead the only way for me to try it is to schedule a test drive in a different model car, which just isn't worth the trouble to me. So I remain blissfully ignorant. It's cool that I still see the lanes and other cars on my screen, didn't know it still did that without AP enabled.

That is why I was suggesting (on anothe thread) :

- $5K upfront when you buy the car. This suits fine for people like me who know everything about AP would gladly pay $5K upfront and buy it. I am getting an M3 only for AP (and the range) anyway

- Or, pay-per-user charge something like $0.50 per mile, capping at $7K (aka 14k miles) and after that AP is yours and no charge. They could even split this into $0.30 for TACC and $0.20 for AP.

So that caters to people of both the categories. If you don't like it after sometime, you can stop using it and not pay for it. IMO this would generate more revenue for Tesla than the current all or nothing approach, as I am guessing an overwhelming number of folks who didn't buy AP today, once they try it will get hooked onto it and continue to use it.

They already have the data of exactly when AP is turned on and off,and they can leverage that to do the billing.

Last edited: