Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding battery storage bumped me from NEM 1.0 to 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did this get resolved in the end? Did your NEM 2 get reinstated?

after about seven months, yes, i finally got put back on NEM 1.0. it took escalating it through i believe three different supervisors and like i said about seven months of them screwing around with it and taking their good ol time, but it finally did get put back on 1.0.

I'll search around the forum a bit more, but wanted to check to see if you knew whether it was still possible to add batteries to an NEM 1.0 system now, without getting booted up to 3.0. The Tesla Powerwall site says that you get forced up to 3.0 if you make any changes to your interconnected system now, which includes adding powerwalls. :(

Reactions: crackers8199
I'll search around the forum a bit more, but wanted to check to see if you knew whether it was still possible to add batteries to an NEM 1.0 system now, without getting booted up to 3.0. The Tesla Powerwall site says that you get forced up to 3.0 if you make any changes to your interconnected system now, which includes adding powerwalls. :(
i think as long as you do powerwall 2 you’re fine but i’m not sure about pw3.

Do you have a link for where it says a PW3 will bump you up?

Generally Powerwall 3 is only installed with solar. Adding a meaningful amount of solar (1.0 kW CEC rating) will kick you out of your existing NEM agreement.

this quote is 100% accurate. adding any more solar than 1.0kw will bump you out of grandfathered status. just adding battery (or less than 1.0kw) should not.

this should be true regardless of what battery you use.

this quote is 100% accurate. adding any more solar than 1.0kw will bump you out of grandfathered status. just adding battery (or less than 1.0kw) should not.

this should be true regardless of what battery you use.
While this was true, there is significant movement and utility agreement towards a couple of flavors of NEM expansion that are larger than what you describe.

Basically, it will be possible to add a PV or PV+ESS system that never exports to the grid more than the original NEM 2.0 system was allowed to. This can be accomplished now/soon by export restriction hardware, and in the future with realtime PV curtailment, charging batteries or on-site load management with specific metering.

CALSSA worked hard to get 4 paths to compliance with PG&E, SCE and SDG&E, but the hardware and certification steps have to catch up. This may take a couple of years before there are well defined solutions without too much additional equipment.

To make this work optimally we need an expansion of the current UL 1741 PCS listing, then we need products listed to it.

• Informative
Reactions: lodar and BGbreeder
I am skeptical that the IOUs will ever let go of the original terms of NEM disqualification. The export limits and accompanying hardware is definitely needed in order to allow greater solar neighborhood penetration, but my skeptical side doesn't think that the utilities will allow this as a pathway to avoid being kicked out of NEM1 and NEM2.

Reactions: Vines
Basically, it will be possible to add a PV or PV+ESS system that never exports to the grid more than the original NEM 2.0 system was allowed to.
Can I replace my whole PV or PV/ESS system with a new one that exports up to 1kW more than my existing system? Or am I stuck with (uncontrolled PV inverters that can export up to 1 kW more than the existing system) plus (controlled PV inverters that never export)?

Can the Backup Gateway (original, if it matters) be configured to activate a signal for a dump load if the monitored PV inverters are producing more than house load plus site export limit, and the batteries are full?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reactions: BGbreeder
The way the original NEM tariffs are written, as I read it, any interconnected generation may be repaired or replaced or expanded as long as the total CEC-AC rating is no more than 10% or 1.0kW greater than the originally interconnected equipment. I see no wiggle room for this controlled export type of equipment.

I wanted to re-panel my solar array with more efficient panels on the same old micro-inverters. However, technically, that is covered by the restriction. CEC-AC watts are defined as Panel PTC DC Watts x CEC AC inverter efficiency. I was wanting to upgrade from 240W polycrystalline panels to 300W monocrystalline panels. I could not upgrade all of them and remain within the 1.0kW limit. So, I didn't do it. I added a separate parallel system and got it before the NEM 2 cutoff.

I got PTO for the new array in October 2023. My old NEM1 true-up is due near the end of April 2024 and I still haven't seen any recalculation of bills under NEM2. It's in my favor, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Can I replace my whole PV or PV/ESS system with a new one that exports up to 1kW more than my existing system? Or am I stuck with (uncontrolled PV inverters that can export up to 1 kW more than the existing system) plus (controlled PV inverters that never export)?

It's more like controlled and uncontrolled inverters that never export more than the original system in a given period depending on how the metering goes. In NGOM are used then it will reconcile every 15 minutes. If PCS control is used then I think it's 2 minutes. If you just add a couple of panels under 1 kW or replace the whole thing they can't really tell especially if the original products were replaced due to failures.
Can the Backup Gateway (original, if it matters) be configured to activate a signal for a dump load if the monitored PV inverters are producing more than house load plus site export limit, and the batteries are full?

Thanks,
Wayne
I don't think it has this hardware in the box natively, and doubt anyone is officially chasing down GW1 solutions to recertify them to do new tricks.

It's more like controlled and uncontrolled inverters that never export more than the original system in a given period depending on how the metering goes. In NGOM are used then it will reconcile every 15 minutes. If PCS control is used then I think it's 2 minutes. If you just add a couple of panels under 1 kW or replace the whole thing they can't really tell especially if the original products were replaced due to failures.

I don't think it has this hardware in the box natively, and doubt anyone is officially chasing down GW1 solutions to recertify them to do new tricks.
This whole 1kw replacement is interesting. What would trigger them to change from 1 to 2? Seems maybe only if you ask?

I my case, I use SO much, that it generally, especially in the winter, we I send back is WAY WAY less then I was approved for. So even if
I lets say tripled my system to 60 kw, I still would probably not export enough to hit the limit.

Now, even if one has a system that gets larger, like with replacement panels, again, what is the worst that happens, one goes over the approved at times and gets no more credits. Again, when I went over, nothing seemed to be triggered other than I got no more credits over the cap.

So, what would trigger a NEM1 to 2? Asking?