Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adding brighter interior led lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evannex just sent us an email showing off their new BRIGHT led lights for the interior of the car.
And, i'm really excited about the frunk and trunk lights.
But, i'm afraid of doing it myself. I've taken the panels off of doors on my old ICE cars and sometimes it just didn't go back looking like it should.
Everything is easy until I get to the lights in the trunk.
Not having opted for the premier light package i have to pull the "carpet" off the back of the trunk in order to install the two additional lights.
Does anyone have a recommendation of some one who can do this sort of thing?

Got mine from Abstract Ocean. HUGE improvement for the trunks. And super easy to install in them. Cosmetically, they really do look stock and are of comparable quality. If that's all that you upgrade, you've hit the sweet spot.

The designers must have either been Millennials with really good night vision or worried about a few extra milliamps draining a 60+ KW battery in the few minutes that they're on.

I also did the front foot wells, glove box, puddle lights, and driver side red LEDs.

The installation difficulty ratings on the Abstract Ocean site are pretty close to what I experienced on my December 2016 PUP MS.

My advice is don't bother with their special pry tool (useless for removing the tough ones). I ended up "carefully" using a screwdriver.
You may not need to pull off the door panels to find the connectors inside. The trunk liner may be a little more difficult, but everything just snaps out and (usually) back in. There are good instructions online.

Besides the trunks, the next biggest payoffs for me were:
1. front footwells (the rear ones (under the front seats) really don't really do much; and I didn't even order lamps for them)
2. glove box
3. passenger side puddle lights (puddles tend to be on the curb side)
4. driver side puddle lights
5. driver side red lights (marginal safety benefit)
6. passenger side red lights (for nighttime joggers or skateboarders?)

• Informative
Reactions: Ketchups
The canonical thread regarding the Abstract Ocean interior lights is here:

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

Lots of pictures, and I think almost every question that could be asked about these lights has been asked and answered on that thread. :)

As for my car (S85D), I swapped out everything except the glovebox light. My car doesn't have premium lighting either...my son and I found the trunk lights trivial to add (and neither of us had any experience modifying cars in any way). We bought the brackets to do the rear-seat footwell lights. I ended up having a customizing shop add the rear-door puddle lights because I wasn't comfortable opening up the door panels for that.

Bruce.

Non-PUP 2016 S here, super easy to do most of it.

Frunk light was the easiest of the lot the light just pops out very easily, I'd do this first to get a hang of things and how to remove, wire and insert the new lights
Driver door and Passenger door were next
Footwell lights on Driver and passenger side require some diving but quite doable
Trunk lights require you to cut out a hole where there is a small depression meant for the light, passenger side trunk light is easy, wire is just behind it, driver side requires a bit of hunting, you have to remove the backing off the trunk (pull off with a little force) and the wire is taped to the back
Trunk lid is a bit hard to pop out, but among the lot this was the toughest.

The big fail for me were the rear doors. Not until I cut open the leather to create an opening did I find out the wiring is taped way up in the inside and not accessible without removing the door panel or atleast the speaker, neither of which I am comfortable doing on a new car. I just slotted two lights there without connecting them hoping to evetually take care of it someday.

The rear footwell lights also require a bit of effort on the non-PUP cars.

I'm not entirely sold on the extra bright RED lights, but might do them just for the fun of it. I am seriously considering putting white lights INSTEAD of the red ones in the rear door though for extra light around the car at night.

Rear under seat.jpg
Resurrecting this thread for a question. I got the complete set of Abstract Ocean LED lights and had no trouble except for the rear footwell. It seems that my late 2017 Model S has a different attachment configuration than shown in videos or pictures. I've included a picture. Rather than what appears to be a metal bar in the video & pix, there now seems to be an oddly shaped plastic configuration. It almost looks as if the housing is part of the horizontal piece it attaches to. I've left this alone pending a response from Abstract Ocean. I don't want to inadvertently crack the plastic.