Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding data to centre console ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan22 MIC built M3 RWD. Centre console USB-C ports without data. Just removed the panel and saw the Mini-B male plug taped to the harness. Yes, I can order from Tesla part number 1755200-00-B, or ship from Tparts via Aliexpress/ebay.

However, has anyone tried simply getting an extension Mini-B female socket to USB-A female socket, so that you can simply plug a normal USB-A thumbdrive to play music directly? Or does it have to go through the built-in module?

I find the USB-C drive too bulky and sticks out too much if it plugs in the original ports, and that USB-A drives like Sandisk Ultra Fit doesn't extrude as much.

Difficult part is to find the old Mini-B female to USB-A female with data.

Attachments

• PXL_20220922_040124110.jpg
    PXL_20220922_040124110.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 498
I've seen a guy on a french forum using only the plus with a mini-usb to usb-a adaptor, it worked for little usb sticks but the power is lower than a normal USB port (additional power comes from the DC harness which plugs to the module as well...)

re: the super flat USB-C drive, cool, never seen one before. will look into it.
re: the mini usb to usb-a adaptor, yes, I'm also guessing it won't be massively powered, but since it is merely the data cable, it should still be able to read/write music from the USB drive. Have just ordered an adaptor from eBay hopefully getting here in Aust in about.. 2 weeks.

I can only speak from the MIC M3 RWD Jan22 built, other regions' / dates' builts may differ. On mine, the two USB-C inside console don't have data (because the controller isn't USB connected - shortage, etc, and if you're lucky there is the USB Mini-B plug taped to harness); and the two USB-C beneath the rear air vent is also power-only. By adding a Tesla-ordered controller or from Tparts, you can simply plug the USB Mini-B into the controller to gain data access for the two USB-C inside the front console. From what I know, even by adding this, the two USB-C beneath the air vent is still power-only. Don't remember seeing a USB socket on that rear controller. whether you want to simply add a simple hub or the one you found on Amazon, it will still depend on whether the port has data initially.

Alternatively, you can use just 1 USB drive inside the glove with multiple partitions, so that you can use it for Sentry as well as Music. See my other thread. 2022 MIC RWD glove box USB, it slides?

will this allow a music thumb drive to play in a 2022 M3?

If you have the connector in the car (like in the first picture) and buy/replace the module from Tparts, then you can use the hub from Amazon and it should play music.

That's what I did, I didn't buy the hub, but I did replace my non-data USB-C ports and bought from Tparts and now I play my music from them.

I can only speak from the MIC M3 RWD Jan22 built, other regions' / dates' builts may differ. On mine, the two USB-C inside console don't have data (because the controller isn't USB connected - shortage, etc, and if you're lucky there is the USB Mini-B plug taped to harness); and the two USB-C beneath the rear air vent is also power-only. By adding a Tesla-ordered controller or from Tparts, you can simply plug the USB Mini-B into the controller to gain data access for the two USB-C inside the front console. From what I know, even by adding this, the two USB-C beneath the air vent is still power-only. Don't remember seeing a USB socket on that rear controller. whether you want to simply add a simple hub or the one you found on Amazon, it will still depend on whether the port has data initially.

Alternatively, you can use just 1 USB drive inside the glove with multiple partitions, so that you can use it for Sentry as well as Music. See my other thread. 2022 MIC RWD glove box USB, it slides?
New owner here... never seen a reference to MIC. What is that?

@Ernest H

Reporting back to this - have just received a female usb mini B to female USB A adapter. Unfortunately doesn't seem recognize the USB (have tried different USB drives) though i can see the light on the USB drive lighting up. Hmm... Will consider removing the glovebox and work on extending the socket. :(