Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Destination Charger to Map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a vacation property that has a HPWC installed and I rent it out on sites like AirBNB, VRBO, etc. Can I get the property added to Tesla's map of destination chargers, or is it only for certain partners? Does anyone have a vacation rental on the destination charger program?

Do you really want the world looking to stop by your vacation property to use your destination charger? The point of getting them on the map is to make them "open to the public," generally if they are patronizing your place, but I think that would create problems for locations such as a vacation property, that doesn't really deal with a general flow of public visitors. Seems to me that you would want to advertise that benefit when you advertise the property.

From a selfish perspective, and from a practical one as well, I do not want the map cluttered with "destination chargers" that require that I rent a home for a week to use.

I mean most of the destination chargers at hotels say for patrons only, and I know when I'm planning a trip the first thing I do is go to Tesla's map to find potential places to stay. Seems like a benefit to be on Tesla's map?

I wouldn't put it on Plugshare as a public charger, but if someone wants to stay the night somewhere they can charge and can find my rental from Tesla's map that seems like a benefit to me.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Do you really want the world looking to stop by your vacation property to use your destination charger? The point of getting them on the map is to make them "open to the public," generally if they are patronizing your place, but I think that would create problems for locations such as a vacation property, that doesn't really deal with a general flow of public visitors. Seems to me that you would want to advertise that benefit when you advertise the property.

From a selfish perspective, and from a practical one as well, I do not want the map cluttered with "destination chargers" that require that I rent a home for a week to use.
Destination chargers are not necessarily open to the public. Many are for patrons only and I fully support that designation.

If you want a hotel with a charger, stay at the one that put in the charger and pays the electric bill. Don’t stay next door because you get points, prefer that brand, etc.

You wouldn’t stay at one hotel because their beds are most comfortable and then walk next door for the other hotel free breakfast.

@ReturnZero , the HPWC that are listed in the Tesla map are part of the official destination program. You can probably contact them here to find out more - Charging Partners | Tesla

I also look at PlugShare for places to stay. I don’t think those have requirement to be free/open either. All the Tesla destination chargers and ChargePoint chargers are there.

Last edited:
Do you really want the world looking to stop by your vacation property to use your destination charger? The point of getting them on the map is to make them "open to the public,"
that is not a correct statement at all, plenty of hotels and businesses have destination chargers that are listed but restricted to customers. Hotels install the HPWC to draw in tesla owners to their property.
I believe if the op contacts tesla via this link he can get listed
Charging Partners | Tesla

I mean most of the destination chargers at hotels say for patrons only, and I know when I'm planning a trip the first thing I do is go to Tesla's map to find potential places to stay. Seems like a benefit to be on Tesla's map?

I wouldn't put it on Plugshare as a public charger, but if someone wants to stay the night somewhere they can charge and can find my rental from Tesla's map that seems like a benefit to me.
I think that is all solid reasoning. It's set up to be a win/win, where there are more charging resources available for Tesla owners, and the businesses who get them installed get the publicity of the listing through Tesla's map and in-car navigation, so it's advertising and customers. Normally it's for places who got it installed through their Destination Charger program, but contact them, and they might be willing to get you added to the listings.

If you don't mind, please let us know what Tesla ultimately decides about adding your property to their map.

As far as Plugshare goes, I think similar logic applies -- as long as the description is clear that charging is for patrons only (or you impose a fee for non-patrons or however you decide to arrange it), the listing would most likely be a benefit to you. And for Plugshare, you can simply create an account (if you don't already have one) and add the location yourself with whatever details you'd like.

Reactions: ReturnZero
that is not a correct statement at all, plenty of hotels and businesses have destination chargers
Hotels and businesses are not vacation properties. They are inherently different and the difference is obvious. And folks hardy EVER decide while en route what vacation property they will stay at.

And I, for one, don't want my map polluted and obscured with places to charge that required a reservation 3 months ago.

Hotels and businesses are not vacation properties. They are inherently different and the difference is obvious. And folks hardy EVER decide while en route what vacation property they will stay at.

And I, for one, don't want my map polluted and obscured with places to charge that required a reservation 3 months ago.

Fair points, though I only partially agree. When I'm planning a trip, even if weeks or months in advance, I'll pull up the Tesla map and Plugshare to see what chargers are near my ultimate destination. And if I find a hotel, B&B, or other property with a charger where I can stay overnight, I'll strongly consider booking it over other nearby options. Even when I don't end up as an overnight guest, I might contact the property to check their charging policy for non-guests. In fact, the one time I ever paid for public charging (aside from a ChargePoint experiment that cost me $0.11) was at the Inn at Cooperstown, a small property which is on both Tesla and Plugshare, and allows non-guests to charge for $10.

Having said all that, I certainly agree both Tesla and Plugshare could offer better searching / filtering options based on property type, fee vs free, public vs patrons only, etc., because both maps can be badly cluttered in some areas. And yet ... a cluttered map means lots of charging options, which in many ways is a good thing. :)

In fact, the one time I ever paid for public charging (aside from a ChargePoint experiment that cost me $0.11) was at the Inn at Cooperstown, a small property which is on both Tesla and Plugshare, and allows non-guests to charge for $10.
one time when I was in CO skiing I took a day trip to beavercreek, the Hyatt ( I think it was ) has tesla hwpcs installed, but when I enquired about using them for the day they wanted about $26 over the normal parking fee to charge there. so calling ahead would always be wise to do.

one time when I was in CO skiing I took a day trip to beavercreek, the Hyatt ( I think it was ) has tesla hwpcs installed, but when I enquired about using them for the day they wanted about $26 over the normal parking fee to charge there. so calling ahead would always be wise to do.
Yep, probably until charging stations are as prevalent as gas stations -- and/or until EVs are as prevalent as ICEs -- it's pretty much always a good idea to call ahead if you know you're going to need to charge. And ouch, $26 plus the parking fee is steep. I knew ahead of time about the $10 that I had to pay, and my alternative was to park about a mile away without charging and spend $8 on trolley service for my family. (There's almost no all-day parking in downtown Cooperstown.)

Yep, probably until charging stations are as prevalent as gas stations -- and/or until EVs are as prevalent as ICEs -- it's pretty much always a good idea to call ahead if you know you're going to need to charge. And ouch, $26 plus the parking fee is steep. I knew ahead of time about the $10 that I had to pay, and my alternative was to park about a mile away without charging and spend $8 on trolley service for my family. (There's almost no all-day parking in downtown Cooperstown.)
you could have dropped the family off, parked the car and walked the mile back, then again it was only $10.
when my son was at FSU his first two years the only available charging was in a school garage, it was free but I could only use them off hours, after 6pm and I had to be out by 7am, it was a bit over a mile of walking from the hotel we stayed in, then in his third year the hotel installed two hpwcs and after he graduated tesla put a SpC just outside of town by I-10.
finding charging spots is all part of being in at the infancy of the EV world. at least I got some well needed exercise in.

Frankly, I use only only PlugShare when planning overnight stops during long trips. They list not only Superchargers and destination chargers, but also all other types of chargers. Since I’m spending the night I don’t really care how fast the charger is cuz I’ll be plugged in overnight. PS seems to be the best resource for finding hotels/motels/bnbs that are EV friendly.

I've got a vacation property that has a HPWC installed and I rent it out on sites like AirBNB, VRBO, etc. Can I get the property added to Tesla's map of destination chargers, or is it only for certain partners? Does anyone have a vacation rental on the destination charger program?

I was trying to see if AirBNB or VRBO had some sort of search option for electric chargers. VRBO seems to have many more search options but I didn't have any luck on either site.

I'm new here and found this thread relevant to what I am trying to find out. I’ve asked to be a destination partner and I have no idea what the process might be……. how long and what are the criteria for selection. Looking at the destination partner map it would appear there are very few residential vacation rentals in the PNW that are not resorts, hotels …though I did find a charming B&B. I am basically a one off prototype until our sustainable design “original evergreen experience” (OEX) club is implemented. Almost all of our guests drive Tesla’s and I was looking to change out the Charge Point level II for a Tesla charger; which is why I applied for the destination partnership, though I’d be absolutely fine with buying it myself. Our guests have strongly recommended that we get listed on the partner map as our sustainable design vacation experience is obviously very much inline with the Tesla philosophy.

I hope I am not out of line adding to a thread that's 2 years old:)

I also could not find where to add my signature....so just added what I want it to be.

Live your passion for Sustainable Design
Original Evergreen Experience OEX

I don't think the thread date is a concern, but If you're trying to get on the destination program, you'll want to sign up using the normal channel: Charging Partners | Tesla

Thank you for responding. I did that already....... but I'm looking for information on how long do I wait to get a response? And what are the criteria for becoming a partner? Just trying to get a sense of the process if anyone knows?