TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adding Diffuser to Lighted T's

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by FLDarren, Apr 15, 2015.

1. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

#1 FLDarren, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    I can't believe that this hasn't been thought of before now. While working on a plan to diffuse the individual Neopixels on the rear lighted appliqué, Artsci and Danal came up with a solution. They used small clear velcro to create a gap between the Neopixels and the diffuser film thus solving the problem. Soon after, Paul Carter mentioned using some kind of diffuser film to use on the front T to create a softer glow. With a little experimenting I think I've found a way to diffuse the LEDs on the front lighted T. I had a can of Frosted Glass in a spray can lying around. I sprayed quite a few coats on a small piece of saran wrap. I then put it on the side where the LEDs shine. It looks like it should work. Glad Artsci sent some spare 3M adhesives with each lighted T. I'll remove the T soon, spray the sides with the frosted glass and reapply the lighted T. It looks great with the frosted glass. The last picture is with the frosted saran wrap touching the lighted T. I can't see any individual LEDs. So far so good. IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4355.JPG IMG_4357.JPG

2. pmoa

pmoa Member

Darren this looks really nice!

3. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Could you take a picture of the can of the stuff you used. Thanks

4. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I'm surprised that a) you haven't already taken the T off and sprayed it and b) showed up in my driveway to show it off. It isn't dark out yet, though...

5. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

IMG_4358.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

7. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I'm fast but not that fast. Gotta have the measure twice cut once mentality about this stuff. Artsci knows what I'm talking bout.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a day or two and I'll post my progress. Just when I had enough on my plate. I feel like Squiddly Diddly here juggling multiple projects.

8. Paul Carter

Oh be adventurous and just mask it off and spray away. ;)

9. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

The more the saran wrap crinkles, the more the frosted glass wants to flake and fall off. IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4360.JPG Tried to get the saran wrap as close in as many places as I could on the lighted T IMG_4361.JPG

10. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Individual LEDs are visible in picture 3. Just doesn't show up on camera. Same effect on rear T as front T. Great news. Can't wait to dig in. IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4365.JPG IMG_4366.JPG

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This is great. Of course those of us that already have the lighted Ts will have to to this as retrofit. But I'll talk to Oznium tomorrow about building something like this into future production.

I have some diffuser film on order from Inventables so when it comes I may try wrapping the edges of both front and rear T with film using spray adhesive on the film itself. This shouldn't be difficult if the film is cut into strips the width of the T's. That way it may not be necessary to remove the Ts to modify them. If this works I'll post photos and procedure. I won't get to this for at least a week.

Thanks for doing this FLDarren -- we all will benefit.

12. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Thanks for the pictures Darren.

13. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Darren - we expect you to have it done before Saturday morning. Junk in the frunk might even be overlooked. ;) My car will be there so people can see what a clean (and stock) one looks like.

14. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Currently laying down some frosted coats. Looking good so far. A little frosty. More soon to come. IMG_4374.JPG

15. Zextraterrestrial

that does look like it works pretty good, probably cheaper than my idea
    I was thinking brush lacquer on the edge and dust it with reflective glass beads (like for roadway striping reflectivity)

16. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Getting closer. IMG_4377.JPG IMG_4379.JPG

17. Paul Carter

Oh my goodness that's so cool! I say upload to Tesla P**n! LOL

18. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

It turned out awesome. I can't see any individual LEDs. Perfecto! In the middle picture u can see the lack of a reflection below the T. I'm amazed. IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4386.JPG IMG_4387.JPG IMG_4388.JPG IMG_4389.JPG

19. Paul Carter

Well done! How many coats (and drying time between them) did it take to get to that level?

20. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I lost count after about 8. lol. Drying time is only 10-15 minutes. I spent about 3-4 hours spraying coats. After about 2.5 hours I started doing spot shots to build up thickness in a few areas. The arches used the most coats by far. If someone buys either of the lighted Ts, I'd recommend spraying before attaching to car and without the T emblem attached to the lighted T. Mine are soldered so I wasn't about to remove them completely. Have an exacto knife handy to easily separate the corner build up from the blue painters tape. I had to go heavy in a few spots.