Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding FSD after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered a Model Y earlier this week and am looking forward to the delivery date, which is still in the air. I've been going back and forth about adding FSD (or rather, I would like to get it, but my spouse isn't sold on it yet). I asked my Sales Advisor if I could as FSD after right after we picked it up. I was under the impression that one could go into the app, purchase the upgrade, wait for whatever needed to download/be activated and be good to go. So his response surprised me:

"Additionally, not all cars come with the most recent hardware to support the most recent FSD release. Even the new cars coming off the line may need to be brought in for an adjustment of the cameras and other hardware components. Stating that it is a simple flip of the switch for everyone is a mistake."

We are not particularly close to a service center, so it would take a bit of coordination to bring the car in.

So my questions:

1. If you upgraded to FSD after a recent purchase, did you have to bring your car back to a service center or was more like the "flip of a switch" scenario?
2. When you upgraded did they let you charge the whole thing to a credit card, or was it an ACH transaction?

Thanks for your advice!

I've ordered a Model Y earlier this week and am looking forward to the delivery date, which is still in the air. I've been going back and forth about adding FSD (or rather, I would like to get it, but my spouse isn't sold on it yet). I asked my Sales Advisor if I could as FSD after right after we picked it up. I was under the impression that one could go into the app, purchase the upgrade, wait for whatever needed to download/be activated and be good to go. So his response surprised me:

"Additionally, not all cars come with the most recent hardware to support the most recent FSD release. Even the new cars coming off the line may need to be brought in for an adjustment of the cameras and other hardware components. Stating that it is a simple flip of the switch for everyone is a mistake."

We are not particularly close to a service center, so it would take a bit of coordination to bring the car in.

So my questions:

1. If you upgraded to FSD after a recent purchase, did you have to bring your car back to a service center or was more like the "flip of a switch" scenario?
2. When you upgraded did they let you charge the whole thing to a credit card, or was it an ACH transaction?

Thanks for your advice!
Once again, a Tesla SA has no idea what they are talking about. All vehicles coming off the line today are equipped for FSD in its current iteration.

You can purchase directly in the app via Credit Card after delivery. This may have implications with your insurance carrier, however. So I would suggest looking into whether they will cover the post-sale purchase of a software add on.

All that being said; FSD is simply not worth $10K. I would recommend waiting for Tesla to either offer a trial period or the subscription model before you lay out that kind of cash for.

So my questions:

Thanks for your advice!
You want the enhanced auto pilot that gives you the autosteer and traffic aware cruise control but that FSD is just smoke. I have it. The FSD lets me park and unpark the car without me in it but I don’t trust it to do that. One of the first couple of times I tried to unpark it then come to get me, it turned the wrong way and headed away from me. That was it for that feature. It’ll change lanes automatically but I don’t let it do that, it wants to change lanes far more often than I like. The autosteer and TACC gets me the relaxing trip “autopilot” on highways. Mine will turn itself off the Interstate at the proper exit then do odd things with acceleration before suddenly dumping me into “me driving” mode. I have successfully gone from one Interstate to an intersecting one all on autopilot so without doing it manually but I was watching it like a hawk so no relaxing there.

I’ve had FSD for 4 years now. It’s no closer to autonomous driving now than it was then. So I’m with your wife on this one. You can always add it later if you think I’ve led you astray.

It does entertain me in other ways. On clear dry road, it’ll hit the brakes occasionally. It hits them hard, slows about 15 MPH, then accelerates back up to the speed set. No one has walloped me in the back end during one of these episodes but it gets one’s attention. It’s less often now but it still happens, the last time was a couple of days ago.

When you do buy FSD it appears as soon as they activate it, you don’t have to go in.

Look long and hard at the benefits and costs of FSD before buying it. It’s always 6 months off. Or I should say it’s always been 6 months off for the past 4 years. You’ll be told the price will go up in the near future. It might but they’ll have to have something worth selling for that to happen. And a car backing out of a parking spot isn’t it.

You want the enhanced auto pilot that gives you the autosteer and traffic aware cruise control but that FSD is just smoke. I have it. The FSD lets me park and unpark the car without me in it but I don’t trust it to do that. One of the first couple of times I tried to unpark it then come to get me, it turned the wrong way and headed away from me. That was it for that feature. It’ll change lanes automatically but I don’t let it do that, it wants to change lanes far more often than I like. The autosteer and TACC gets me the relaxing trip “autopilot” on highways. Mine will turn itself off the Interstate at the proper exit then do odd things with acceleration before suddenly dumping me into “me driving” mode. I have successfully gone from one Interstate to an intersecting one all on autopilot so without doing it manually but I was watching it like a hawk so no relaxing there.

I’ve had FSD for 4 years now. It’s no closer to autonomous driving now than it was then. So I’m with your wife on this one. You can always add it later if you think I’ve led you astray.

It does entertain me in other ways. On clear dry road, it’ll hit the brakes occasionally. It hits them hard, slows about 15 MPH, then accelerates back up to the speed set. No one has walloped me in the back end during one of these episodes but it gets one’s attention. It’s less often now but it still happens, the last time was a couple of days ago.

When you do buy FSD it appears as soon as they activate it, you don’t have to go in.

Look long and hard at the benefits and costs of FSD before buying it. It’s always 6 months off. Or I should say it’s always been 6 months off for the past 4 years. You’ll be told the price will go up in the near future. It might but they’ll have to have something worth selling for that to happen. And a car backing out of a parking spot isn’t it.
Thanks for the update, you made many great points. I actually had decided to move forward and added FSD to my order but as my delivery date drew closer we decided to cancel the Model Y order and wait for our cybertruck reservation, so hopefully there will be more clarity about FSD by the time we have to configure the CT order.

Thanks for the update, you made many great points. I actually had decided to move forward and added FSD to my order but as my delivery date drew closer we decided to cancel the Model Y order and wait for our cybertruck reservation, so hopefully there will be more clarity about FSD by the time we have to configure the CT order.
Well, save a copy of my note and read it when you configure your truck. By then everything I said may be dead wrong. I’d love to be that wrong that soon. So when do you get to configure your truck, six months?

Well, save a copy of my note and read it when you configure your truck. By then everything I said may be dead wrong. I’d love to be that wrong that soon. So when do you get to configure your truck, six months?
I think six months would be optimistic. I'm hoping to have it by May 2022. I'll probably keep the FSD on the truck, just because they are supposed to honor the FSD price at the time of the reservation, which was less than $10K at the time. But, if there is no FSD improvement between now and then, perhaps it would be best to not get it. Happy travels to you!

This is my plan - to add it back after I accept delivery. Full purchase on the credit card - any luck doing this?
I have a road trip not long after I take delivery and will subscribe to FSD for the month. That'll be a great way to judge the value. My initial impression from research is that I'll likely just rent the service from time to time when I take trips.

Reactions: Mike_TV
I bought mine without FSD since the tax on the vehicle is based on the sales price. About a month after owning it, I hit the upgrade button on my phone by that night, I had an update ready to download and viola - FSD.
Yay! Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear. I did do a little more research and saw that the car had to be in park and connected to Wi-Fi so I guess you need to be home and not sitting in the parking lot somewhere 🤣

So my questions:

Thanks for your advice!
You could add enhanced autopilot to see if you like it and if you do , just pay the difference of $6k for FSD

Reactions: BagheeraNY