Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding FSD before VIN assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So weird, my OA is telling me that in order to add FSD to my build (currently in production, not scheduled for delivery yet), I would have to pay the $3000 FSD fee along with the $500 modification fee! I don't see why the $500 modification fee would apply since it's really only a software switch and doesn't even enable anything now at all. He said he already talked to the regional manager and was told under no circumstances will the $500 modification fee be waived. So strange, I already told him I'd pay the extra $3000 for FSD if it didn't upsell me with an additional $500 modification fee, but he said it's either $3500 or nothing...

That is very weird. IMO the sales people, although good, doesn’t have great understanding what happens after a order has been placed. I would wait till they find your vehicle and speak to the delivery advisors. They seem to have much more accurate knowledge. I will be glad to send you my delivery advisor details if that will help. They cannot have 2 sets of rules. I added FSD after my VIN for $3K. Good luck.

Reactions: S5S5G6
For what it’s worth, I added FSD to my build using the backdoor edit link yesterday. Got immediate confirmation, MVPA was immediately updated, delivery estimate didn’t change. No change fees or anything, just the extra $3,000 for FSD

That link hasn't worked for me since the edit button vanished and I was asked for payment and trade in info same day my IDA said my car had shipped.... unless it's a different link than folks were using before

Reactions: S5S5G6
Cool your car is en route.
Was the FSD add painless as hoped?

Nope. ISA says if I want him to do it I lose the car and go back into the queue. Despite my pointing out, and him agreeing, that it requires no hardware change of any kind.

Slews of other folks with different IDAs report otherwise so apparently I just got someone awful. Others have added once the process is handed off to the DC, so that's my next step to try it.

My DS added it for $3K finally. I pick up the car on Wednesday.
is your DS different from your Inside Delivery Advisor (IDA)? I have a delivery scheduled for next wednesday and my only contact has been with my IDA.

my IDA keeps saying that any change will delay my delivery. if i call the 1800 number for tesla, they refer me back to the IDA. i'm wondering if there's someone else that i should be hearing back from?

I meant to say IDA. It did delay my delivery a week mostly because the IDA was lame. When I refused delivery on the first attempt, she sent the updated build sheet. Just ask that they add it and I bet the delay will not be long. If your car is at the delivery facility, I hear they are running short on room at least in Denver that is.